Thread: Summer Vacations

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    If you are in Lancaster County, you will be terrifyingly near me. YIKES!!! If you want any tips on avoiding touristy commercialized places, let me know. I hope you get away from the tourism, and find little local places, which are the best, and not nearly as expensive.

Places like the Sales Stables, where all of the Amish, and others, sell, and buy livestock.. beautiful horses auctioned off, if you like that sort of thing. Local diners where you can eat good, greasy, for REALLY cheap. Great for breakfast. The BEST place that I know of to eat, if you want to sit down, and have a really good meal is with a local Amish family that will take you into their farm home, and sit down and eat with you, if they have time... the kids help to prepare and serve, etc. Like a family style meal, only this is not a restaurant.. it is pretty hush-hush, and they do not advertise at all. It is practically in my backyard, and they are not even in the phone book... mostly just word of mouth. They suggest a $14. donation, per person.. kids are less, I am sure. I am sure that you are free to tour the farm as well.

If you want any info.. just ask. If you have any questions at all, while you are here, I would be happy to give you my cell number. I hope you have a great time in Lancaster County, and Hershey, PA.
    Thanks!

I have been going to conventions at the Host in Lancaster at least once a year for going on 10 years now.

it's always been one of my favorite places to go. We are unfortunately going to be hitting a lot of the "Touristy" things to amuse the kids, lol. After 10 years of avoidance I am finally getting dragged to Dutch Wonderland, lol! My favorite place to go out there is the family style resteraunt, (Lapps?) off of the main drag, where they pass the bowls around the table and everyone serves themselves. It's a traditional stop. :)

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Hey!!!! I live here!! :mad:
    Yes, I know.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Thanks!

I have been going to conventions at the Host in Lancaster at least once a year for going on 10 years now.

it's always been one of my favorite places to go. We are unfortunately going to be hitting a lot of the "Touristy" things to amuse the kids, lol. After 10 years of avoidance I am finally getting dragged to Dutch Wonderland, lol! My favorite place to go out there is the family style resteraunt, (Lapps?) off of the main drag, where they pass the bowls around the table and everyone serves themselves. It's a traditional stop. :)
    Have you been out to Longwood Gardens? If not, it's well worth it. How old are the kids? Depending on the age, and if they are going to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland may be a huge waste of money for you.

Thanks!

Dutch Wonderland is GREAT for kids!

I think the family style place you are talking about is Good 'n Plenty, or maybe it is Lapp Valley Farms. I have tried GnP, but havent been to Lapp Valley Farms. . GnP is GREAT eating.. my son worked there for his first job, all through highschool.

Be sure to do some driving, and get off the main drag of RT. 30.. Lincoln Highway east, and tour the country. Buy some fresh produce from the locals off the beaten path.
    Last edited by Jumpy; 06-16-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Have you been out to Longwood Gardens? If not, it's well worth it. How old are the kids? Depending on the age, and if they are going to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland may be a huge waste of money for you.

Mancub turns 7 in August and Little She Who Must Be Obeyed is 14.

Dutch Wonderland is a tradition with my friends who hit it with their kids on the last day of the convention weekend. Their kidlings are all about the same age as my youngest.

Mancub turns 7 in August and Little She Who Must Be Obeyed is 14.

Dutch Wonderland is a tradition with my friends who hit it with their kids on the last day of the convention weekend. Their kidlings are all about the same age as my youngest.
    The youngest will like it. She who must be obeyed will roll her eyes a lot I suspect. It's a great park for the little ones. There's not much there for the 14 year old.