Thread: A defect on tires has links to China

1. #1 A defect on tires has links to China 
    A defect on tires has links to China
    Imported valve stems may cause tires to fail. One recall issued; a US agency is investigating.

Poisonous pet food. Lead paint on children's toys. The latest potentially defective Chinese import to hit American shores: tire-valve stems, the rubber shafts that allow motorists to fill their tires with air.

There are at least 36 million of the imported valve stems on tires on American roads. Any of them could cause dangerous tire failures this summer.

Already, a lawsuit has blamed a defective tire-valve stem for a crash that killed a Florida driver. One US importer issued a formal recall this month; another alerted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which has begun an investigation. Earlier this month, the federal agency issued an advisory to motorists to check their tires for wear but said nothing about valve stems.

Most of the valves in question, which are said to crack prematurely, appear to be on tires sold between September 2006 and June 2007.

The extent of the problem won't be known until NHTSA completes its investigation, says an agency spokesman. But some independent safety experts say motorists should be warned to inspect the tire-valve stems immediately.

"The company [that imported most of the tires] has issued a technical bulletin, but nobody seems to know about it," says Sean Kane, an auto-safety consultant with Safety Research & Strategies in Rehoboth, Mass., which issued its own public warning Thursday. "We need to know because the public is entering the high-risk summer season, and this is a real problem that potentially affects millions of vehicles."

Link

I've experienced this. I bought 4 tires from Sam's Club and within a year 3 of them went flat because the valve stems were bad. Fortunately, it was nothing more than a hassle and no serious consequences for me.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Banned
    That's a damn good reason to stay away from discount stores when buying tires. Cheap is not always better. Just wait till the Chinese start importing their death trap cars. Walleymart may sell em.:eek:

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    A defect on tires has links to China
    Imported valve stems may cause tires to fail. One recall issued; a US agency is investigating.

Poisonous pet food. Lead paint on children's toys. The latest potentially defective Chinese import to hit American shores: tire-valve stems, the rubber shafts that allow motorists to fill their tires with air.

There are at least 36 million of the imported valve stems on tires on American roads. Any of them could cause dangerous tire failures this summer.

Already, a lawsuit has blamed a defective tire-valve stem for a crash that killed a Florida driver. One US importer issued a formal recall this month; another alerted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which has begun an investigation. Earlier this month, the federal agency issued an advisory to motorists to check their tires for wear but said nothing about valve stems.

Most of the valves in question, which are said to crack prematurely, appear to be on tires sold between September 2006 and June 2007.

The extent of the problem won't be known until NHTSA completes its investigation, says an agency spokesman. But some independent safety experts say motorists should be warned to inspect the tire-valve stems immediately.

"The company [that imported most of the tires] has issued a technical bulletin, but nobody seems to know about it," says Sean Kane, an auto-safety consultant with Safety Research & Strategies in Rehoboth, Mass., which issued its own public warning Thursday. "We need to know because the public is entering the high-risk summer season, and this is a real problem that potentially affects millions of vehicles."

Link

I've experienced this. I bought 4 tires from Sam's Club and within a year 3 of them went flat because the valve stems were bad. Fortunately, it was nothing more than a hassle and no serious consequences for me.
    You are most fortunate that one of the plys didn't peal off !

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    That's a damn good reason to stay away from discount stores when buying tires. Cheap is not always better. Just wait till the Chinese start importing their death trap cars. Walleymart may sell em.:eek:
    Gee - this sounds familiar. ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You are most fortunate that one of the plys didn't peal off !
    They were good tires (Goodyear Regattas) just lousy valve stems. I figure the good valve stems probably cost about 8 cents and the cheap ones about 5 cents each.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I figure the good valve stems probably cost about 8 cents and the cheap ones about 5 cents each.
    A quote that will define our economic decline in the world to a second-class player.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)