Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Today in Texas History 
    July 16

1921 - Stephen F. Austin arrived in Texas.

1839 - The Battle of Neches ended. The two day battle between Texas troops and Cherokee Indians virtually ended Indian issues in the settle parts of Texas. The battle ended, but the pursuit continued until July 24.

1870 - At Fort Concho, army officer John Porter Hatch began an experiment to manufacture and use adobe bricks as construction material. The experiment was judged a failure on September 2, 1870 when Hatch and 20 enlisted men had only produced 10,000 usable bricks.

1931 - Oklahoma Governor William (Alfalfa Bill) Murray opened a bridge across the Red River by executive order. Texas Governor Ross S. Sterling had ordered barricades across the Texas approaches to the bridge due to an injunction filed by the builder of a nearby toll bridge. The Texas Highway Commission was under contract to buy the toll bridge before the opening of the new bridge. The issue was not permanently dissolved until August 16.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    God bless Texas!
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

July 17

1835 - Jackson Municipality colonist gathered at William Millican's gin house to discuss their growing list of grievances against the Mexican government of Antonio López de Santa Anna. In 1936, the state of Texas erected a marker on the site.

1865 - Greenville S. Dowell and a group of local physicians formed the Galveston Medical Society.

1941 - The Midland Army Air Field was leased by the U.S. government for $1 a year while being used as a training ground during WWII.

(Thanks Ralph)

July 18

1916 - Horace S. Carswell, Jr. was born in Fort Worth, TX. In 1946 he was awarded a Medal of Honor for giving "his life...to save all members of his crew" and for "sacrifice far beyond that required of him" on October 26, 1944. In 1946 Fort Worth Army Airfield was renamed Carswell Air Force Base.

1917 - Camp Bowie was established near present-day downtown Fort Worth. It was named for the Alamo hero Jim Bowie, the camp served as an army base in WWI.

1918 - Daniel R. Edwards from Mooresville, TX, earned a Medal of Honor. After undergoing treatment for wounds including a shattered arm he crawled alone into an enemy trench. In the trench he killed four, took for prisoners and suffered a shattered leg from an enemy shell.

1919 - In Longview, martial law was lifted. Governor William Hobby had imposed martial law on July 11 after a series of events lead him to order Texas Rangers and National Guard troops to the area.

1936 - The Fort Worth Frontier Centennial Exposition opened. It closed on November 14.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Hmmm, knew some Texas history. Played golf on occasion near Carswell Air Base, but didn't know who he was.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

July 19

1714 - Louis Juchereau de St. Denis arrived at San Juan Bautista Presidio. He participated in founding six missions and a presido in East Texas.

1843 - Texas President Sam Houston relieved Commodore Edwin Moore of command of the Texas Navy. When Moore returned to Galveston he was dishonorably discharged by Houston. In August of 1844 Moore was found not guilty after appealing to the Congress of the Republic of Texas.

1876 - The Texas and Pacific Railway completed a rail line that linked Fort Worth, TX, to San Diego, CA.

1878 - Texas Rangers mortally wounded Texas outlaw Sam Bass when he and his gang attempted to rob the bank in Round Rock. Bass died two days later from his wounds.

1981 - "Roy Orbison Day" was celebrated in Odessa, TX.

Side note from two good friends who spent significant time in Norway:

In Norway , "Texas" is slang for "crazy."

When the company sends hands like these two, it's easy to understand .....

July 20

1910 - Galveston native Jack Johnson defeated reigning heavyweight champion Jim Jeffries.

1969 - The first words from the surface of the moon were "Houston, the Eagle has landed." Neil Armstrong made the radio call just before he became the first man to walk on the moon.

July 25

1838 - In Houston, the first Independent Order of Odd Fellows lodge in Texas was organized.

1953 - Staff Sgt. Ambrosio Guillen died near Songuch-on, Korea. He received the Medal of Honor for valor for his actions. He came from a Mexican American family and grew up in El Paso, Texas.

1974 - In Galveston, the restored Ashton Villa was opened to the public. The house was built in 1859 and was one of the first brick structures in Texas.

1999 - Nolan Ryan was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.

July 26

1845 - The U.S. flag was raised on St. Joseph Island by a detachment of United States troops. The troops had landed to protect Texas from Mexican interference after annexation. The main force landed on August 1.

1846 - John Baker Omohundro, also known as "Texas Jack", was born. He was a frontier scout, actor and cowboy. He is credited with introducing roping acts to the American stage.

1863 - Sam Houston died. Houston had opposed Texas' secession from the Union.

1887 - The Union Stock Yards were chartered in Fort Worth, which had earned the nickname "Cowtown" for its commerce in livestock.