Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    July 27

1812 - Prince Carl (Karl) of Solms-Braunfels was born in Neustrelitz, Germany. In July of 1844 he landed in Texas and spearheaded the establishment of colonies of German immigrants. New Braunfels, Texas, is named in honor of his homeland.

1888 - In the Texas Panhandle, Randall County was organized.

1940 - In Houston, Lonnie Smith was denied a ballot to vote in a Democratic primary because he was black. A legal battle ensued, resulting in a Supreme Court decision granting all eligible Texans the right to vote in primary elections.

2001 - The ribbon cutting ceremony was held for American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. The event set two new world records, one for the 3 mile long ribbon and one for the 2,000 people that cut it.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Retread, where are you picking these up from? They would be great to use in my middle school Texas history classes.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    Retread, where are you picking these up from? They would be great to use in my middle school Texas history classes.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    http://www.on-this-day.com/cgi-bin/o...esotd/otdTX.pl

July 28

1908 - Harper Lee of Ysleta, Texas, first made his first appearance in a bullring in Guadalajara. Two years later, he became the first American matador de toros.

1915 - Leander Randon Millican, a Baptist missionary, and George W. Truett met with ranchers to begin an annual cowboy camp meeting that became known as Paisano Baptist Encampment.

1973 - In Dallas, a protest march turned into a riot. Thirty-eight people were arrested, five policeman were injured and widespread damage occurred. The protest was against the killing of Santos Rodríguez while being questioned by Dallas policeman, Darrell Cain.

1994 - Kenny Rogers (Texas Rangers) pitched the 14th perfect game in major league baseball history.

2001 - In Dallas, TX, the Eagles played the first concert at the American Airlines Center.

July 29

1958 - U.S. President Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act, which formed NASA and led to the establishment of the space center near Houston in 1961.

1988 - The FDIC bailed out the 1st Republic Bank of Dallas with $4 billion.

2010 - Baylor University's KWBU-TV/Waco signed off after 21 years due to budgetary concerns.

July 30, 2016

1867 - Texas Governor James Throckmorton was removed from office for being an "impediment to Reconstruction."

(i.e. He was a Southerner)

July 31

1817 - Pirate Louis Michel Aury resigned his Mexican commission to rule Galveston Island.

1867 - Fort Griffin was established on the Brazos River in Shackelford County when four companies of the 6th U.S. Cavalry arrived at the site.

1891 - The Lubbock Leader began publication. It was the town's first newspaper.

August 1

1731 - Capt. Juan Antonio Pérez de Almazán presided over what was probably the first election in Texas history at the San Antonio de Béxar Presidio. Voters chose officials for the municipal government of San Fernando.

1839 - In Austin, the new capital of Texas, the first sale of town lots was held.

1845 - U.S. troops under General Zachary Taylor landed on St. Joseph Island to protect Texas from Mexican interference after annexation. On July 26, the U.S. flag was raised by a detachment from the main force.

1923 - Niles City was annexed to Fort Worth. This took place after the Texas Legislature had passed a bill that allowed cities of more than 50,000 people to absorb neighboring towns of less than 2,000.

1961 - Six Flags Over Texas opened in Arlington, TX. It was the first park in the Six Flags chain.

1966 - Fifteen people were shot and killed and 31 others were injured by Charles Joseph Whitman from a tower at the University of Texas at Austin. Whitman was killed in the tower by police.

1985 - At Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, 137 people were killed when a Delta Air Lines jumbo jet crashed while attempting to land.

August 2

1832 - The Battle of Nacogdoches began when Texas soldiers refused to surrender their arms to a Mexican commander, Colonel José de las Piedras.

1882 - Roy Bean was appointed justice of the peace of Pecos County. He became known as "Law West of the Pecos."

1870 - The Texas legislature granted a charter for the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. It was more commonly known as the M-K-T or the Katy.

1946 - A meteorite plunged into a swimming pool on the Gage Ranch in Brewster County.

1985 - 137 people were killed when a jumbo jet crashed at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The Delta jet was attempting to land at the time of the crash.

2001 - In Dallas, TX, George Rivas was sentenced to death for the murder of a police office during a robbery. Rivas was the leader of a group of prison escapees referred to as the "Texas."

August 3

1799 - The McAllen Ranch, covering 95,000 acres in present day Hidalgo County in the Rio Grande Valley, was given to a family of early settlers from the king of Spain .

1898 - The Colorado County Feud began.

1915 - Aniceto Pizaña escaped a gunfight with Texas Rangers at his ranch north of Brownsville. The event moved him from a moderate to a full-fledged revolutionary.

1980 - Hurricane Allen hit the Caribbean and the Texas gulf area. Twenty-eight were killed in the the U.S and over 200 died in the Caribbean. (August 3-10)