Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    1985 - 137 people were killed when a jumbo jet crashed at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The Delta jet was attempting to land at the time of the crash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Hyrm9466E
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

August 4

1941 - Lt. Governor Coke Stevenson became governor of Texas when Governor O'Daniel resigned to become a United States senator.

1942 - The United States government signed the Mexican Farm Labor Program Agreement with Mexico.

1947 - The U.S. Army reactivated the 19th Division, headquartered in Dallas, Dodds Field, Fort Sam Houston and San Antonio.

1958 - Poet Allison Adelle Hedge Coke was born in Amarillo, TX.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

August 5

1840 - Near Hallettsville, a large band of Comanches began killing and looting across Central Texas. Texas Rangers and a volunteer army defeated the Comanches on August 11 at Plum Creek near Lockhart. The Comanches attacks were in retaliation for the Council House Fight on March 19, 1840.

1870 - The International Railroad was chartered to build from the Red River near Fulton, Arkansas, to Laredo by way of Austin, TX.

1883 - Samuel D. Parr arrived at Point Bolivar and claimed a league of land. He was the first permanent settler in the area.

1932 - Clyde Barrow and Raymond Hamilton opened fire on Sheriff C.G. Maxwell and his deputy Eugene C. Moore. The sheriff was seriously wounded and the deputy was killed. This marked the first time Barrow was involved in the killing of a lawman.

2013 - It was announced that Nelson Cruz (Texas Rangers) had accepted a 50-game suspension for violation of MLB drug policies.

2013 - In Dallas, at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, former U.S. President George W. Bush underwent heart surgery after a blockage was found during an annual exam.

August 6

1842 - Charles Elliot, the new British charge d'affaires to Texas, arrived at the port of Galveston.

1902 - In Laredo, TX, feminist folk artist Alice Dickerson Montemayor was born.

1855 - Democratic Governor Elisha Pease was reelected over the American party candidate David Dickson by 10,000 votes to serve another term as the Governor of Texas.

1966 - Houston oilman Ralph A. Johnston signed the deed transferring Paisano Ranch to the University of Texas.

2012 - The USS Fort Worth (LCS-3) departed from Marinette Marine Corp. shipyard in Marinette, WI, on its way to her commissioning site in Galveston, TX.

2013 - The trial of Nidal Malik Hasan began at Fort Hood, TX. In 2009, Hasan killed 13 and wounded at least 28 others at a deployment readiness center at Fort Hood.

August 7

1839 - The schooner San Antonio was commissioned into the Texas navy. The ship was armed with five cannons. She and her crew were lost at sea in 1842.

1852 - Alexander Cockerell paid $7,000 for the Dallas townsite and the Trinity River ferry concession.

1854 - Lowry Scrutchfield was elected the first Bosque County judge.

1937 - Alice Lucille Emerick was chosen as the first Miss Texas.

1989 - A small plane carrying U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland, D-TX, and 15 others disappeared during a flight in Ethiopia. The wreckage of the plane was found six days later. There were no survivors.

2010 - Emmitt Smith was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

2012 - Randy Travis was arrested after police found him lying naked in the middle of a roadway in Texas. He had crashed his car in a construction area. He was later sentenced to 180 days in jail (probated for 2 years), 30 days in an inpatient treatment facility and a 100 hours of community service.

August 8

1840 - The town of Linnville, one of the most important ports of entry during the Republic of Texas, was destroyed in a Comanche raid. The town was never rebuilt.

1915 - The Norias Division headquarters of the King Ranch was attacked by Mexican raiders. One ranch worker was killed and four were wounded. Five raiders were killed and several were wounded. The raid lead to the United States Army increasing its presence in the area.

1935 - In Rogers, TX, Joseph Arrington Jr. was born. Arrington gained fame as a singer under the name Joe Tex.

1950 - Whataburger opened its first restaurant in Corpus Christi, TX.

August 9

1908 - In Stafford, TX, blues pianist Robert Shaw was born.

1911 - John Warne Gates was born in Illinois. He helped finance the Texas Company in 1902 which later became known as Texaco.

1929 - The Shamrock Oil and Gas Company, today known as Diamond Shamrock, was founded in Amarillo, TX.

1946 - At Camp Ben McCulloch, the last Confederate reunion was held.

1983 - President Reagan met with Hispanic Leaders to discuss immigration and unemployment along the Texas border.

August 10

1862 - In Hill County, Union loyalists from the area of Comfort, in Central Texas, start for Mexico in an attempt to reach U.S. troops. The deaths that occurred in conflicts with Confederates are commemorated in Comfort by the Treue der Union (True to the Union) monument.

1935 - The Texas legislature established the Texas Department of Public Safety.

1950 - The Plymouth Oiler baseball team near Sinton, Texas played the Worland, Wyoming, Indians. It was the first no-hit, no-run game in National Baseball Congress history.

1965 - In Austin, TX, a fire burned part of the 20th floor of the 27-story University of Texas main building. A collection that contained items once owned by escape artist Harry Houdini and circus magnate P. T. Barnum were damaged by smoke and water.

August 11

1840 - Texas Rangers and a volunteer army defeated Comanches at Plum Creek near Lockhart. On August 5, a large band of Comanches began killing and looting across Central Texas. The Comanche attacks were in response to the Council House Fight on March 19, 1840.

1914 - The Duval County courthouse was destroyed by fire.

1961 - The Texas legislature adopted the design for the reverse side of the Great Seal of Texas. The design was submitted by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.

August 12

1840 - Comanche Indians were defeated by the Texans' volunteer army at the Battle of Plum Creek near present-day Lockart, TX. The indians had plundered, stole horses and killed settlers and sacked the town of Linnville.

1982 - Joseph Arrington, known as "Joe Tex," died.

1983 - President Reagan traveled to El Paso, TX from Tampa, FL.

1983 - North of Boling, a sinkhole about 250 feet in diameter and twenty-five feet deep formed.