Thread: Superstitious Monday

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

You just reminded me why I love my cats. I have a morbid fear of lizards!
    I know you do. I just don't get it. I love those little guys.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I always always always have to knock on wood, and I have to knock exactly 3 times (because that's a good number.) This probably comes from the time I was driving home and thought to myself, "Gee, I've never gotten a speeding ticket!" And then, 5 minutes later, guess what happens! So now I have to knock on wood every time I think something like that or I freak out :)
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Aw, I thought you might entitle this one, "Mongolian Monday." :D

Thunder and rain here in New England as I'm preparing to hop the Amtrak for NYC for the week. It's supposed to be rainy there as well.

TOTD: No, not at all. I don't walk under ladders, but that's because there's generally stuff on top that is likely to be unstable. I don't think I have any superstitions, although my girlfriend, for all her youth and education, certainly maintains a number from Eastern Europe. After all, she is from Transylvania.
    Like keeping a wreath a garlic over her bedroom window...and a sharpened stake under her pillow, a crucifix? Well, it didn't work...you still got to her! :D
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I was up at 4 a.m. for a silly reason. I am superstitious. I promised someone I would sew some patches on a Boy Scout uniform for Monday morning. I forgot until all the sudden it was Sunday and my grandmother's words were ringing in my ears:

"If you sew anything on Sunday, you will have to pick out the stitches with your nose on Judgement Day."

So, I got up at 4 to sew the silly uniform. I actually thought it was a Biblical thing but apparently it's just a superstition. She drilled it in me very well!!

TOTD: are you superstitious? If so, what are some of your beliefs?

Here are some Old Wives's Tales and Superstitions to jog your memory.
    So cool that you are sewing patches on Boy Scout uniforms!! Good for you!

As far as the superstitious thing.. I do not have a superstitious bone in my body. The closest I might get is to have a pork and saurkraut meal on New Years Day, but I only do that every otherNew Years Day or so, and am really only doing it for tradition.. like turkey on Thanksgiving day.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Like keeping a wreath a garlic over her bedroom window...and a sharpened stake under her pillow, a crucifix? Well, it didn't work...you still got to her! :D

I quit. The divorce papers are in the mail.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    oh man..that was GOOOD..now I can see how you can keep up with the queen of snark...you do have some defense mechanisms after all...

My maternal Grandmother was a midwife in the early 1900's, when I graduated Nursing School my mother passed down her medical journals on midwifery, I loved reading the medical advice which was nothing more than superstition, but at that time was on the edge knowledge.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

YOU DIDN"T SAY THAT! :eek:

:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)