Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

I have never heard of not marrying in May!
    Common in England, at least at one time. Queen Victoria forbade her children having May weddings, because she believed in it.

There's a month by month rhyme about marriage in every month; I'm happy that my month is considered good: "Marry in September's shrine, your living will be rich and fine". I'd never marry in Lent or Advent, but that's Anglicanism, not strictly superstition.

gator
    I am not very superstitious but I do have my little quirks, mostly based upon culture rather than fear. For instance, I eat black eyed peas on New Years Day. Of course the one year when I did not eat them (1968) turned out to be the worse year of my life.

Here in Florida we have little lizards all over the place. They are quiet and clean and they kill and eat every little bug they can get their hands on. My Mom allowed them around the house, which is a tradition of older Florida people and went out of her way not to harm them. She told me it was bad luck to harm one of them. To this day I will not harm any of them and even rescue them from my cat from time to time.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I am not very superstitious but I do have my little quirks, mostly based upon culture rather than fear. For instance, I eat black eyed peas on New Years Day. Of course the one year when I did not eat them (1968) turned out to be the worse year of my life.

Here in Florida we have little lizards all over the place. They are quiet and clean and they kill and eat every little bug they can get their hands on. My Mom allowed them around the house, which is a tradition of older Florida people and went out of her way not to harm them. She told me it was bad luck to harm one of them. To this day I will not harm any of them and even rescue them from my cat from time to time.
    I spend a lot of time rescuing the poor things from my evil cat. You'd think they'd get the word out not to hang out on my back porch.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    In St. John our house had a lot of little geckos, who performed the same bug-eating service for my parents. One of them accidentally got into my husband's toiletry kit, and sat up looking around when we were in our hotel in Miami on our way back home (good thing we were diverted and didn't make it back to Washington that night; he probably wouldn't have survived the trip). The hotel had a big atrium garden with a pond, so we released him there. We figured that back on St. John his buddies were saying, "Has anyone seen George? I haven't seen him in ages."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I spend a lot of time rescuing the poor things from my evil cat. You'd think they'd get the word out not to hang out on my back porch.
    Cats do have an interesting way of playing with their prey before destroying them. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Cats do have an interesting way of playing with their prey before destroying them. :D
    As does she. ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Whe we first moved into our house in 2003 our cat had a field day. She would kill and eat at least a couple every day. She would eat everything except the tips of the tails and the heads. She decimated the lizard poplutation. They are just now returning to a sizable population because she is not as aggressive as she use to be, although she will snack on one from time to time.

The problem I had was that she would catch them outside and bring them in to eat them. She also loves to bring in snakes.

Hanging out by the porch is a good thing for them because they kill the bugs before the bugs can get into your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

You just reminded me why I love my cats. I have a morbid fear of lizards!

I maintain a few like knocking wood, and the like.

When my wife was studying for her residency she had to pass one of the hardest board exams given in either Human or Veterinary medical training and I started the habit of pitching a pinch of salt over the shoulder when I spilled some. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

You just reminded me why I love my cats. I have a morbid fear of lizards!
    Aww, really? 'At's a silly fing to fear, innit? 'Ow about a noice English muffin wi' jam?