Thread: Help Identifying a Cat

1. #1 Help Identifying a Cat 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzNl6NKAG0

Could someone please tell me what sort of cat this is? My best guess is British/European Shorthair, but I want to be sure.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzNl6NKAG0

Could someone please tell me what sort of cat this is? My best guess is British/European Shorthair, but I want to be sure.
    Ask Bijou but it does look English .BTW it needs to go on a diet .Is it yours ?

I love to watch cats play with things like those boxes.Years ago our mother had a pair of seal point brother and sister siamese cats and they were always playing hide and seek about the house.They would start in the library and tear down the long hall to the livingroom and ricochets around the room and out the dining room pantry door.
    Last edited by megimoo; 11-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.

It's just a fat short hair cat. I don't think there's any real difference between fat British cats and fat American cats. :D

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Ask Bijou but it does look English .BTW it needs to go on a diet .Is it yours ?
    Nah, not mine. Our current cat looks like a furry bag of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap
    It's just a fat short hair cat. I don't think there's any real difference between fat British cats and fat American cats.
    That's what I thought, but there seems to be something different in the shape of the face and body? More square and stocky than the American variety? Some of the comments said (paraphrasing) "the cat isn't 'fat', that's just how 'the breed' looks."
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Silver Classic Tabby British,pics at link
    http://moggycat13.tripod.com/id42.html

The striking appearance and distinctive coat of the silver classic tabby british shorthair (to give it it's full name) has made it the most popular of the tabby varieties. Tabbies are sturdy and affectionate and show the original feline patterning: they have even featured in egyptian murals. They were brought to britain some 2000 years ago. Selective cross-breeding has produced the silver classic tabby, which was first show as a british pedigree over 100 years ago.

the silver classic, unlike the more familiar brown, is a relatively new variety of british tabby. As the product of selective cross-breeding, this outstanding cat is becoming more and more popular in britain. This is mainly due to its distinctive appearance- its colouring and markings make it a highly attractive cat to look at.
    COMMON FEATURES
    All tabbies have rings of black on the legs and tail, unbroken necklace markings around the throat, stripes on the face and a clear 'm' shape on the forehead. Like all british shorthairs they have a large chunky body, a broad but round face and short, dense fur.
    SPECIAL FEATURES
    There are several distinct patterns of tabby markings: the classic, the mackerel and the spotted. It is the silver classic tabby's lush, silvery-grey coat and contrasting jet-black markings that distinguish it from the others. The markings have distinct pattern to them. Three lines run down the cats spine. There is a butterfly shape on the shoulders, an oyster-shaped patch on each flank, surrounding by one or more rings, and spots on the abdomen.
    Kittens with strong markings at birth become the best marked adults.

FACT FILE
    BREED DEVELOPED: 1880s
    TYPE: Shorthair
    BODY SHAPE: Sturdy; short legs
    WEIGHS UP TO: 8kg/18lb
    PLUS POINTS: Gentke; strong and healthy; easy to groom; can cope with being left alone; unlikely to wander
    WATCH POINTS: Obesity, especially if neutered; doesn't overly like being handled

http://moggycat13.tripod.com/id42.html