Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link please.

I have no problem with it, as I think private businesses should be able to stock whatever items they want. However, I do not believe all "pro-lifers" eschew all forms of contraception. For example, I thought that opposition to barrier contraception was limited to Catholics...am I incorrect in this thinking?
    The only form of "contraception" that is technically allowed in the catholic church (and I'm sure many other Christian denominations) is the rhythm method. And we all know how well that works.

So yea, thats a Catholic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    The only form of "contraception" that is technically allowed in the catholic church (and I'm sure many other Christian denominations) is the rhythm method. And we all know how well that works.

So yea, thats a Catholic thing.
    Actually, natural family planning works quite well if done properly. Same with other forms of contraception. I am personally aware of 3 births in the last 3 years that were conceived while on birth control pills. There is always a chance for failure, especially if you don't follow instructions well.

I was wondering about the other Christian denominations. I know the Catholic stance on contraception, I don't know the Protestant stance on it.

Power CUer
    I was wondering about the other Christian denominations. I know the Catholic stance on contraception, I don't know the Protestant stance on it.
    Mainstream Protestant denominations are okay with contraception.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's what I thought (with the exception perhaps of IUD's and Plan B or the morning after pill).

Banned
    Emphasis on mainstream.

Power CUer
    That's what I thought (with the exception perhaps of IUD's and Plan B or the morning after pill).
    Plan B and the "morning after pill" are the same thing, and they are both just higher doses of regular oral contraceptives. That's why I've shaken my head over the whole idea that the morning after pill is something "new" - thirty years ago, my doctor told me that if I didn't finish a pill pack for some reason I should keep it, and if I had unprotected sex for some reason I should take three pills in the saved pack.

Again, in the Protestant "mainstream" - Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, at least - there is no prohibition on any of these methods.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Emphasis on mainstream.
    Right. Those are the only ones with whom I have had (or would wish to have) experience. I don't know what the Church of the Holy Snake Handlers prescribes or proscribes.

Banned
    Right. Those are the only ones with whom I have had (or would wish to have) experience. I don't know what the Church of the Holy Snake Handlers prescribes or proscribes.
    Watch cable tv on a Sunday morning and be afraid, be very afraid! :D

noonwitch
    I don't really have a problem with it, because the business has the right to decide what they are going to stock and what they aren't going to stock. Most gas stations and grocery stores sell condoms, anyways, so it's not like drug stores are the only option for that product.

Getting the pill isn't a problem unless there is no competition around.

I'm one of those pro-choice people who doesn't think that Plan B should be sold without a prescription-I think that doing so is completely ignoring the risks associated with that drug. I remember girls in college who were prescribed it, after having unprotected sex. They were sick in bed for a couple of days after taking it, and they were examined by a doctor first. There are so many complications possible from introducing a chemical like that into your system. DUers don't get that, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

I think it's wonderful if they stand behind their beliefs but as medical providers, is it right that they force others to?
    Well, that opens up the question of obligation. Why would a private business be responsible for your choices or conditions? The business doesn't have any obligation to assist you. If you want more choice, you may need to move or use an Internet connection to order what you want.

It would be like an organic, vegetarian restaurant being forced to keep some hamburger patties in the freezer if they were the only restaurant in town.