Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Any hunters having any luck this year? 
    Good News: I finally saw a deer this past weekend.

Bad News: I couldn't get a shot at her.

There just haven't been that many killed yet this year down here. My Dad and Uncle have both got one, so that leaves me odd man out, so far.

How's hunting going in y'all's neck of the woods?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

There just haven't been that many killed yet this year down here. My Dad and Uncle have both got one, so that leaves me odd man out, so far.

The dems won. They'll be no hunting...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Elk hunting - not so good. The warm weather kept them up high and generally unaccesable. 20 years ago I'd have been up there...not so much now.

Deer Hunting is excellent now. Last night I was talking to one right outside my back door. :) I can't take any though because the Mrs. gave them all names. Bless her heart.

Are you Bow Hunting, Rifle, or Shotgun?
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Elk hunting - not so good. The warm weather kept them up high and generally unaccesable. 20 years ago I'd have been up there...not so much now.

Deer Hunting is excellent now. Last night I was talking to one right outside my back door. :) I can't take any though because the Mrs. gave them all names. Bless her heart.

Are you Bow Hunting, Rifle, or Shotgun?
    Rifle, still using the Winchester .243 that the old man bought me when I was 13. Not overly powerful, but deadly accurate. I can shoot a redbug off a tick's ass at 150 yards.;)
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Rifle, still using the Winchester .243 that the old man bought me when I was 13. Not overly powerful, but deadly accurate. I can shoot a redbug off a tick's ass at 150 yards.;)
    Well my fellow sophisticate :D I was wondering because I know that in some locals it's shotgun only. .243 is plenty of good rifle for the deer in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

The other day we were talking about iron sights vs optics. I thought back to all the times I rifle hunted with a scope and there wasn't an instance where iron sights wouldn't have easily done the job. I've gone back to straight iron sights in most of my long guns. Funny but it just feels like a purer experience.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

I have seen only two deer while in the woods...none worth killing. I counted 7 dead on the road on the way to work this morning.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I have seen only two deer while in the woods...none worth killing. I counted 7 dead on the road on the way to work this morning.
    I think they're moving at night. I'll shoot Bambi if he walks hisass out in front of me. I need the meat.

I don't think deer season has officially begun in Michigan-at least not rifle hunting. Bow season is longer.

We have plenty of deer. I welcome anyone to Michigan who wants to hunt them. The more you kill, the less out there to run in front of our cars. We really need your tourism money.

I suggest the area between Grand Rapids and Traverse City as good hunting territory. There are lots of deer, some quaint little towns like Newaygo, White Cloud and Baldwin, and there are plenty of deer processors in the area. You might come across a rural meth lab, though, or the Grand Rapids prostitutes, who move up there for the few weeks of hunting season.
    The UP is probably good hunting territory. That's where my grandpa's friend shot the deer whose head hangs over Grandpa's fireplace. My grandpa couldn't bring himself to shoot it, but his friend had no qualms, and had the head stuffed and mounted for him as a joke. I think there are elk and moose up there, but I believe the moose are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Does your county have a road kill list? :D We do here. They call you at whatever time of day or night and tell you your animal is down at mile marker whatever and then you go get em. Pretty easy meat in the freezer.

I think they're moving at night. I'll shoot Bambi if he walks hisass out in front of me. I need the meat.
    LOL...yes they are. Around 2:30 am last night my chow went bonkers . I looked out in my back yard and there were 3 doe around the Oak trees.

I killed a yearling several years ago....just had got two little bumps on his head. I hunt for the meat, but unless I'm in dire straits, I'll probably only kill the mature ones and theres plenty of those in my area.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor