Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 2008 Baseball Awards start rolling out today 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    The no-brainer Rookies of the Year will be awarded today. Catcher Geovany Soto from the Chicago Cubs is a lock for the NL award, while Tampa Bay Rays 3B Evan Longoria is a shoo-in for the AL.

The award schedule is as follows:

MON., NOV. 10: NL/AL Rookie of the Year

TUES., NOV. 11: NL Cy Young Award

WED., NOV. 12: NL/AL Managers of the Year

THURS., NOV. 13: AL Cy Young Award

MON., NOV. 17: NL Most Valuable Player

TUES., NOV. 18: AL Most Valuable Player

And, it's official:

Rays' Longoria, Cubs' Soto win rookie of year awards

Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Evan Longoria is the American League Rookie of the Year, and Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto is the NL winner.

Following a season of breakthroughs for the AL champion Rays, Longoria became the first Tampa Bay player to win a national award from the Baseball Writers' Association of America. He was a unanimous winner Monday, receiving all 28 first-place votes.

Soto, who helped the Cubs win the NL Central title, got 31 of 32 first-place votes. The other went to Cincinnati's Joey Votto.

Giants ace Tim Lincecum wins NL Cy Young Award

Tim Lincecum won the National League Cy Young Award by a comfortable margin Tuesday, taking home pitching's highest honor in his second major league season. The slender kid with the whirling windup joined Mike McCormick (1967) as the only San Francisco Giants pitchers to win a Cy Young.

Lincecum received 23 of 32 first-place votes and 137 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Brandon Webb of the Arizona Diamondbacks got four first-place votes and finished second with 73 points.

"I was definitely surprised. I thought it was going to be a lot closer," Lincecum said on a conference call.

Listed at 5-foot-11 and 160 pounds, tiny by today's standards for a big league pitcher, Lincecum defied detractors and the laws of physics by firing 97 mph fastballs past one hulking slugger after another.

The 24-year-old right-hander was 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA and a major league-best 265 strikeouts, remarkable numbers for a fourth-place team that finished 72-90.

"People have been doubting me my whole life," he said. "I don't let them bring me down."

Lincecum led the NL in winning percentage (.783), ranked second in ERA and was third with 227 innings. He made his first All-Star squad, but an illness prevented him from appearing in the July 15 game at Yankee Stadium.

New York Mets ace Johan Santana, who led the league in ERA (2.53) and innings (234 1-3), also garnered four first-place votes and came in third.

The other first-place vote went to Milwaukee lefty CC Sabathia, last year's AL winner who was traded by Cleveland into the National League on July 7. He went 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA and seven complete games in 17 starts for the Brewers, pitching them to their first playoff berth since 1982.

"I definitely thought he was in fair contention," Lincecum said.

Sabathia came in fifth. Brad Lidge, the star closer who had a perfect season for the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies, was fourth.

Webb, the NL winner in 2006, was runner-up for the second consecutive season after going 22-7 with a 3.30 ERA in 226 2-3 innings.

No surprise. Could have been him or Webb. People around here were throwing Lidge around but I don't do that whole closer as Cy Young winner thing.

Just waiting for Wed (NL manager) and Monday (NL MVP).

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    No surprise. Could have been him or Webb. People around here were throwing Lidge around but I don't do that whole closer as Cy Young winner thing.

Just waiting for Wed (NL manager) and Monday (NL MVP).
    I'm guessing Piniella for NL manager and Pujols easily as MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I'm guessing Piniella for NL manager and Pujols easily as MVP.
    Don't make me track you down.

I'll surrender to Pujols but Charlie for manager, no doubt. Along with our two gold-glovers.

Actually, I don't want Howard for MVP. It's bad enough he got $10 million last year. Can't imagine what he'd want for two MVP's in the past three years.

I'll surrender to Pujols but Charlie for manager, no doubt. Along with our two gold-glovers.

Actually, I don't want Howard for MVP. It's bad enough he got $10 million last year. Can't imagine what he'd want for two MVP's in the past three years.
    I said I'm guessing Piniella, based on the fact that the Cubs had the best regular season in the NL, and the voting takes place before the playoffs.

Howard's batting average should devastate his chances, really. The AL MVP voting should be interesting as well. It's a really wide open race.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I said I'm guessing Piniella, based on the fact that the Cubs had the best regular season in the NL, and the voting takes place before the playoffs.

Howard's batting average should devastate his chances, really. The AL MVP voting should be interesting as well. It's a really wide open race.
    And his strikeouts.

He won't get it but I think Manny deserves it. Nobody was more valuable to his team than Manny.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    And his strikeouts.

He won't get it but I think Manny deserves it. Nobody was more valuable to his team than Manny.
    He was great, but I find it hard to vote for a guy who only played in the league for 2 months.

Maddon, Piniella Win Manager of Year Awards

Joe Maddon easily won the American League Manager of the Year award Wednesday after guiding the Tampa Bay Rays from baseball's basement to the World Series. Lou Piniella of the Chicago Cubs took the NL honor.

Maddon, who succeeded Piniella as Tampa Bay manager in 2006, was a runaway winner in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. He received all but one of the 28 first-place votes the other went to Minnesota's Ron Gardenhire.

There has never been a unanimous winner for Manager of the Year.

Piniella led the NL Central champion Cubs to the league's best record and beat out Charlie Manuel of the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies to earn his third Manager of the Year award and first in the NL.

The fiery Piniella also won in 1995 and 2001 with Seattle.

This time, he got 15 of 32 first-place votes and totaled 103 points to 67 for Manuel, listed first on eight ballots. Florida's Fredi Gonzalez finished third with five first-place votes and 48 points.

Two other managers garnered first-place votes: Joe Torre of the Los Angeles Dodgers (three) and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals (one).

Dale Sveum got a third-place vote after managing only 12 games. He took over the Brewers on an interim basis when Ned Yost was fired in September and went 7-5 down the stretch to help Milwaukee secure its first playoff berth since 1982.