Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1 Cardinal: Abortion Undermines Common Good 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    BALTIMORE (AP) -- The head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, opening a national church meeting Monday, said that continued support for abortion rights will undermine any advances in social justice that come from a new president and Congress.

    Chicago Cardinal Francis George said ''we must all rejoice'' that an African-American will be in the White House for the first time in a country that ''once enshrined slavery'' in law.

    But he said the nation still violates what he called universal human rights by keeping abortion legal. ''The common good can never be adequately incarnated in any society when those waiting to be born can be legally killed at choice,'' George said.

    In his speech, George did not directly address the policies of President-elect Obama, who is Protestant, and Vice President-elect Biden, who is Roman Catholic. Both men support abortion rights and take other stands that differ from Catholic teaching.

    However, in a later news conference, George, the conference president, said bishops' are preparing to lobby the Obama administration on any policies that diverge from Catholic teaching on marriage, abortion and other issues.
    Link to NYT piece
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Still, Obama received a majority of the Catholic vote over Republican John McCain, according to exit polls. Obama won more Catholic support than John Kerry, who is Catholic, and was the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee.
    It's encouraging that Catholic voters would do this.... I'm not talking about choosing Obama... but simply the act of defying the church's views on the governmental role in abortion.

    Personally, I think it would be worse for the 'common good' for a minority to force their own philosophical opinion on others by force. Especially when there are plenty of good arguments in favor of the opposition and by no means could it be considered a settled matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    It's encouraging that Catholic voters would do this.... I'm not talking about choosing Obama... but simply the act of defying the church's views on the governmental role in abortion.

    Personally, I think it would be worse for the 'common good' for a minority to force their own philosophical opinion on others by force. Especially when there are plenty of good arguments in favor of the opposition and by no means could it be considered a settled matter.
    Yeah, kind of like slavery.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    It's encouraging that Catholic voters would do this.... I'm not talking about choosing Obama... but simply the act of defying the church's views on the governmental role in abortion.
    Then you'll have no problem when Joe Biden is excommunicated from the Catholic Church. Seperation of Church and State and all.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Then you'll have no problem when Joe Biden is excommunicated from the Catholic Church. Seperation of Church and State and all.
    Well, look at the voting numbers that I quoted. They won't excommunicate anyone... it would cause a mass exodus from Catholicism. They have been threatening excommunication/communion refusal for years on this issue, and they simply don't have the stones to actually go through with it... because it would be bad for the church.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,777
    The problem is not legalized abortion, it is that too many women are getting into circumstances in which they feel abortion is their best option. I'm pro-choice in a legal sense, but I also am for reducing the number of abortions.

    With the election of Obama, abortion rights are pretty much guaranteed at this point, for the next decade at least. So the abortion opponents can continue to gather money from the faithful to fight a legal battle that they will never win, or they can put their money into programs that offer assistance to women who are in crisis pregnancy situations.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The problem is not legalized abortion, it is that too many women are getting into circumstances in which they feel abortion is their best option.
    You mean they are selfish? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what we have become are “self” worshippers.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm pro-choice in a legal sense, but I also am for reducing the number of abortions.
    How specifically would you do that? Hasn't abortion now become an extension of other birth control methods for the lazy? What other plausible reason is there for a late term abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    With the election of Obama, abortion rights are pretty much guaranteed at this point, for the next decade at least. So the abortion opponents can continue to gather money from the faithful to fight a legal battle that they will never win, or they can put their money into programs that offer assistance to women who are in crisis pregnancy situations.
    What programs do you suggest? I submit that we can do both.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    ... or they can put their money into programs that offer assistance to women who are in crisis pregnancy situations.
    "They" already do this. Women who wish to keep their children but need help financially can already get it. Women who wish to give their children into a wide variety of adoption situations can already do so with zero financial impacts.

    The problem is in convincing women that there is nothing wrong with admitting that they aren't prepared to be a parent or even interested in it. In our society at the moment, you can be a fanatical 'baby mama' or you can kill your child but everyone you know will hate and vilify you if you choose to give your child up. In some circles, it's just about the only irredeemable crime a woman or girl can commit.

    :(
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    In as much as it cuts down the size of the flock (to be sheared), I can see Cardinal Francis’ economic point.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,335
    It's sad that women find the need to murder their children or consider that murder is an viable option. There were choices that could have been made long before the choice to kill is considered. Unfortunately we live in a world where responsibility and consequences are becoming theoretical concepts because everyone has been given an excuse to justify their behavior. Unfortunately we are headed for post-delivery terminations based on genetic malformations not discovered until after birth.

    Of course, this government adviser, John Harris, a member of the Human Genetics Commission, came to a slightly different conclusion. He believes it might be acceptable to destroy children with "defects" soon after they are born because we do it now before they are born.

    You tell me you don't believe in slippery slopes?

    The entire Western world is now embracing ideas that sickened them when practiced by Adolf Hitler.

    The reasons for this advice from Harris are the most interesting part of the story.
    More here

    It is scary but when one immoral act becomes acceptable someone has to take things to the next level. I'm not normally one to accept the slippery slope philosophy but I have to wonder as I see things that were once taboo become everyday occurrences.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •