Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Leona Helmsley's Dog Loses $10 Million of Trust Fund 
    Leona Helmsley's beloved pooch, Trouble, will have to live the high life on a lot less.

The Maltese, 9, lost $10 million of her $12 million trust fund to charity after a judge signed off on a deal that gives the late billionaire's disinherited grandchildren a piece of the Helmsley fortune, the New York Post reports.

The deal, approved by the New York State Attorney General's Office and Surrogate's Court Judge Renee Roth, reduces Trouble's trust fund to $2 million, placing the rest of the money into Helmsley's multibillion-dollar charitable foundation, the paper said.

... Trouble is living in Florida with Carl Lekic, the general manager of the Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel, the paper said. The dog's annual expenses are around $190,000, he said.
    Florida, who'd have thought it? :D

canine penury

The greedy grandchildren worked out a deal with the estate when they challenged the mental competence of Helmsley to create her own will in 2005.

What's the point of making a will if it can be challenged just like that?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It can be easily challenged if you do a damfool thing like leaving it all to a DOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The greedy grandchildren worked out a deal with the estate when they challenged the mental competence of Helmsley to create her own will in 2005.

The dog should have fought them, it's not as if it needed the money. If you can't disinherit your lazy, grasping relatives there isnt much scope to write a will reflecting your wishes.

The dog's annual expenses are around $190,000
    Oh, bullshit. Some person - possibly more than one - is pocketing a lot of that.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It can be easily challenged if you do a damfool thing like leaving it all to a DOG.
    Yep! She couldve left it to all sorts of charities.. animal charities, with outrageous amounts going to her dog.

The woman was off her rocker..

Banned
    Don't know what all the fuss is about; it's not like the dog is going to miss 10 of that 12 million dollars. wuff, wuff. 2 mill. will provide her with the high life for the rest of her years. :)

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    ... Trouble is living in Florida with Carl Lekic, the general manager of the Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel, the paper said. The dog's annual expenses are around $190,000, he said.
    DAMN!! SLW and I PLUS the 3 greyhouds could live damn good on 190,000K a year!!!:eek::D

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    DAMN!! SLW and I PLUS the 3 greyhouds could live damn good on 190,000K a year!!!:eek::D
    Maybe that manager could send the pup to us. I'm sure it could live like royalty here for a lot less. :D

Even if the judge overturned the dollar amount of her bequest, there was no call to turn the money to those who were specifically excluded. The money should have been turned over to charity.

BTW, I'm sure the $12 million wasn't her entire estate. They talked about her "foundation". I'm sure most of the money went there.

Sonnabend
    Well...the dog can sing classical music and use a computer..I guess the judge decided that its Bach was worse than its byte :D:D