Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If she had prepared her will 'properly' (just a little online homework, or consulted with a lawyer), she would have specifically named each grandchild and why she did not want to leave them anything - and that will would have been "air tight"/not able to be challenged by the grandchildren.

Here is a very interesting resource for all of us pet folk who are a bit "long in the tooth":

"Perpetual care" » PerPETual care : who will look after your pets if you're not around? / by Lisa Rogak.
    Author: Rogak, Lisa, 1962-
    Series:
    Edition: 1st ed.
    Publication: c2003.
    Length: xvii, 169 p. :

Available at the River Falls, WI, Public Library through InterLibrary Loan or through Amazon.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
    If she had prepared her will 'properly' (just a little online homework, or consulted with a lawyer), she would have specifically named each grandchild and why she did not want to leave them anything - and that will would have been "air tight"/not able to be challenged by the grandchildren.

Here is a very interesting resource for all of us pet folk who are a bit "long in the tooth":

"Perpetual care" » PerPETual care : who will look after your pets if you're not around? / by Lisa Rogak.
    Author: Rogak, Lisa, 1962-
    Series:
    Edition: 1st ed.
    Publication: c2003.
    Length: xvii, 169 p. :

Available at the River Falls, WI, Public Library through InterLibrary Loan or through Amazon.
    There are a number of publications also available----it's a whole new field, estate planning for pets. I've read some, where there's always a big warning about how tenuous the laws are for pets. It's a whole new field with many minefields.

It's tough finding a lawyer knowledgable enough to properly draw the will so the intent isn't overturned. There are too many maverick judges out there.

It is a good idea to cover in a will who will take care of pets. Every parent, in my opinion, should put in writing who should be appointed guardians for their children in case of catastrophe. It should also be done for beloved pets.

Care would need to be taken in the "guardianship" of pets if a sizable amount is involved. It would be way too easy for someone taking care of the pets to euthanize them so the remaining funds could be then assumed. Probably the same person shouldn't be both guardian and recipient of the funds, unless other provisions are stipulated as a safeguard.

noonwitch
    She should have left each of the grandchildren $1-that way it is specific.

My dad had it written in his will that anyone who challenges it after his death will receive exactly $1. It's more difficult to challenge if there is a recognized dollar amount to the person who you want to effectively disinherit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Maybe that manager could send the pup to us. I'm sure it could live like royalty here for a lot less. :D

Even if the judge overturned the dollar amount of her bequest, there was no call to turn the money to those who were specifically excluded. The money should have been turned over to charity.

BTW, I'm sure the $12 million wasn't her entire estate. They talked about her "foundation". I'm sure most of the money went there.
    I do not have a pup and since I am retired I could give her extra special one on one care for $190,000 per year. We could walk along a private beach every day in the warm sun in Florida and have much fun.