Thread: An Obama Tilt in Campaign Coverage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 An Obama Tilt in Campaign Coverage 
    As covered today on the Rush Limbaugh program:

My assistant, Jean Hwang, and I have been examining Post coverage since Nov. 11 of last year on issues, voters, fundraising, the candidates' backgrounds and horse-race stories on tactics, strategy and consultants. We also have looked at photos and Page 1 stories since Obama captured the nomination June 4.

The count was lopsided, with 1,295 horse-race stories and 594 issues stories. The Post was deficient in stories that reported more than the two candidates trading jabs; readers needed articles, going back to the primaries, comparing their positions with outside experts' views. There were no broad stories on energy or science policy, and there were few on religion issues.
    ad_icon

Bill Hamilton, assistant managing editor for politics, said, "There are a lot of things I wish we'd been able to do in covering this campaign, but we had to make choices about what we felt we were uniquely able to provide our audiences both in Washington and on the Web. I don't at all discount the importance of issues, but we had a larger purpose, to convey and explain a campaign that our own David Broder described as the most exciting he has ever covered, a narrative that unfolded until the very end. I think our staff rose to the occasion."

The op-ed page ran far more laudatory opinion pieces on Obama, 32, than on Sen. John McCain, 13. There were far more negative pieces about McCain, 58, than there were about Obama, 32, and Obama got the editorial board's endorsement. The Post has several conservative columnists, but not all were gung-ho about McCain.

Stories and photos about Obama in the news pages outnumbered those devoted to McCain. Reporters, photographers and editors found the candidacy of Obama, the first African American major-party nominee, more newsworthy and historic. Journalists love the new; McCain, 25 years older than Obama, was already well known and had more scars from his longer career in politics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110901017.html

I know this is not exactly NEW news - most of us here have known that the press is not only in bed with Obama but actively engaged in orally pleasing him - but hey them admitting it themselves - and waiting until after the election to admit it -THAT's breaking news. :)
    Last edited by bijou; 11-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    As covered today on the Rush Limbaugh program:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110901017.html

I know this is not exactly NEW news - most of us here have known that the press is not only in bed with Obama but actively engaged in orally pleasing him - but hey them admitting it themselves - and waiting until after the election to admit it -THAT's breaking news. :)
    We need the fairness doctrine at this dip-shit joint. :p My bad, that only applies to conservative media outlets!:mad:

Would Mr. Limbaugh have been happier with at McCain/Palin win? Me thinks not.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Here it comes!!

If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

He'd probably still have as many listeners and not have the governments greedy hand in his fucking pocket.

Any American who TRULY loved their country and UNDERSTOOD the consequences of Obama winning should have been ecstatic with a McCain win over Obummer. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be happier.

You obviously don't listen to his show. As much as he disagrees with McCain - he like any conservative recognized how much better a choice McCain was.

Resident Grump
    I'd say, in all truthfulness, LP...that in a year, a LOT of people will be wishing McCain had won :(

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I'd say, in all truthfulness, LP...that in a year, a LOT of people will be wishing McCain had won :(
    a year? I think you're being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Here it comes!!

Can you say- demolition? :p