Hybrid View

1. #1 Why Israel is the world's happiest country.... Spengler 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Envy surrounds no country on Earth like the state of Israel, and with good reason: by objective measures, Israel is the happiest nation on Earth at the 60th anniversary of its founding.

It is one of the wealthiest, freest and best-educated; and it enjoys a higher life expectancy than Germany or the Netherlands. But most remarkable is that Israelis appear to love life and hate death more than any other nation.

If history is made not by rational design but by the demands of the human heart, as I argued last week , the light heart of the Israelis in face of continuous danger is a singularity worthy of a closer look.

Can it be a coincidence that this most ancient of nations [1], and the only nation persuaded that it was summoned into history for God's service, consists of individuals who appear to love life more than any other people?

As a simple index of life-preference, I plot the fertility rate versus the suicide rate of 35 industrial countries, that is, the proportion of people who choose to create new life against the proportion who choose to destroy their own. Israel stands alone, positioned in the upper-left-hand-quadrant, or life-loving, portion of the chart . Those who believe in Israel's divine election might see a special grace reflected in its love of life.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JE13Ak01.html

Hell, if my tax dollars for employing and supplying the local police, the national guard and my nation’s entire spectrum of military defense were covered by another wealthy country - I’d be happy too.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Hell, if my tax dollars for employing and supplying the local police, the national guard and my nation’s entire spectrum of military defense were covered by another wealthy country - I’d be happy too.
    You would just waste it on motor oil of chrome for your scooter !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You would just waste it on motor oil of chrome for your scooter !
    :p Buaahaaahaa. Okay - you win. I stand corrected. :D
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Envy surrounds no country on Earth like the state of Israel, and with good reason: by objective measures, Israel is the happiest nation on Earth at the 60th anniversary of its founding.

It is one of the wealthiest, freest and best-educated; and it enjoys a higher life expectancy than Germany or the Netherlands. But most remarkable is that Israelis appear to love life and hate death more than any other nation.

If history is made not by rational design but by the demands of the human heart, as I argued last week , the light heart of the Israelis in face of continuous danger is a singularity worthy of a closer look.

Can it be a coincidence that this most ancient of nations [1], and the only nation persuaded that it was summoned into history for God's service, consists of individuals who appear to love life more than any other people?

As a simple index of life-preference, I plot the fertility rate versus the suicide rate of 35 industrial countries, that is, the proportion of people who choose to create new life against the proportion who choose to destroy their own. Israel stands alone, positioned in the upper-left-hand-quadrant, or life-loving, portion of the chart . Those who believe in Israel's divine election might see a special grace reflected in its love of life.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JE13Ak01.html
    Can't wait to see Gator and LogansPapa go off on this. ;)
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

02:44 PM vs. 03:10 PM (not to quick today, eh?)