Thread: The Myth Of The Westernized Saudi Men .

1. #1 The Myth Of The Westernized Saudi Men . 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Saudi men and the women who love them . Cold Fury

Inevitably, American citizen spouses characterize their Saudi husbands during their school days in the United States as being completely “westernized”; drinking beer with the best of them, chasing after women and generally celebrating all the diversities and decadence of a secular society. Women married to Saudis who did not fit the stereotype of the partying, or playboy/prince, are careful to point out that their spouses nevertheless displayed a tolerance toward all of these diversions and, particularly, toward them. In other words, the Saudi-American relationship virtually always blossoms in the States, in a climate which allows dating, cohabitation, children out of wedlock, religious diversity, and a multitude of other Islamic sins which go unnoticed by Saudi relatives and religious leaders thousands of miles away.

American citizen wives swear that the transformation in their Saudi husbands occurs during the transatlantic flight to the Kingdom…When they arrive, their husband’s traditional dress, speech, and responsibilities to his family re-emerge and the American citizen wife is left to cope with a new country, a new language, a new family, and a new husband. Whether a Saudi has spent one year or eight studying in the United States, each must return to the fold - grudgingly or with relief - to get along in Saudi society and within the family hierarchy that structures most social and business relations.
    http://coldfury.com/index.php?p=2230

Banned
    Reminds me of the movie: Not Without My Daughter.... We had to watch that in school when I was growing up.

I went to one of those snooty private colleges for undergrad and we had an ELS program that was very active. Almost all of the students were Saudi, Japanese, or German men since the language program fed into an engineering program.

These guys were fun to date. However, I knew a couple of women who decided to marry Saudis. One got divorced here before her husband made it out of graduate school and that was that. The other one did go live in Saudi Arabia for a number of years. She eventually got divorced and returned to the States but her husband's family kept the children and there was nothing she could do.

Adopting a new culture and religion is a pretty serious Buyer Beware undertaking.

Most of the american women I know who have married muslim men from the Middle East have gotten divorced in a very short period of time. None left the country with their husbands, although one of my cousin's work aquaintances ended up beheaded by her ex for trying to leave him. He even tried to sue the grandparents for custody of the kid from behind bars.

Banned
    It's an interesting cultural interaction. I've known many Saudis, but never one married to an American woman. Having lived in Saudi, I think that any "western" woman that would marry a Saudi is very delusional. Every Saudi I've known values his cultural inheritance, his nationality, his societal role much more than he would value a mere woman.