Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sonnabend
    Dream on but I will bet you $40 (loser contributes to CU) that the unemployment rate will be over 7.5% during the first 6 months of the Magic Negro's term.
    I'll take that bet..

My call is more like 8.9% by end June 2009. If it's under that, I lose, if its over that, I win.

Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Riiight!!! The "good old days" with the DJIA off 25% and unemployment at 6.5%. The "good old days" with wireless wiretaps, violations of habeas corpus, and infringements on civil liberties in the name of security. The "good old days" with an America whose standing in world opinion ha sunk to eight year lows.
    Let's see if we're better off two years from now or now. I'm willing to bet the DJIA will be back above 12000, unemployment will be around 5.5%, and our foreign policy will have the backing of a much broader coalition.
    Bye, bye.
    Please. Not you too? The liberal whining over our country's reputation is, and should never be, a talking point. The rest of the world will always talk bad about the USA. The world's opinion is largely framed from our own media who instill a "hate America First" mentality. If we hold our heads high and tell the rest of the world to sink or swim on their own, they will come crawling back with their greedy-needy hands held out palms up.

We got used to the Clinton technique of governing by popularity polls instead of what is right for us.

I vote for Representatives of MY interest, not the world's. Ii don't care what their opinions are if we do the right yet unpopular thing. Nobody likes a war, sometimes it's neccessary. Nobody likes the biggest toughest guy on the block and they don't mind saying so if he can't pound the stew out of them. Everybody envies the richest kid in the neighborhood, but strangly they want to be his best friend.

When we stop talking crap about ourselves, the world opinion will magically begin to shift back. The media hatred of GWB coupled with their love affair of Liberalism has biased our own opinion of the USA and tainted world opinion against us. Stop reading Liberal hatefest magazines like New York Slimes or Die Welt. They are full of hateful liberal bias. The same hateful crap they accuse Conservatives.

Please don't respond that the media doesn't have this impact. They do. It is well documented. TV gives the weak minded their opinions, no thinking required. That's why Quaker State is the most popular motor oil. Not because it's the best but because media promoted it.

We (the USA) need to continue to do the right thing and not the popular thing.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Sonnabend
    "A president who tries to be popular is a president who could fail the country," he said. "And I remind people popularity is fleeting. Principles are forever. "The job of the president is to make good, tough decisions based upon solid principles that are etched in his soul - Pres G.W.Bush
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 11-13-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    We (the USA) need to continue to do the right thing and not the popular thing.
    Amen to that.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Riiight!!! The "good old days" with the DJIA off 25% and unemployment at 6.5%.
    Which historically is really not that bad, we have just been spoiled as of late. Also, when you look at the REASONS for those two statistics, you will realize it was not because of anything that Bush did, it was because of things Bush was PREVENTED from doing by a coalition of liberals.

The "good old days" with wireless wiretaps,
    Nothing new nor particularly noteworthy - just a consequence of technological changes.

violations of habeas corpus, and infringements on civil liberties in the name of security. The "good old days" with an America whose standing in world opinion ha sunk to eight year lows.
    You got this wrong, no one has been denied Habeas Corpus rights that precedent had not already prevented them from having. In FACT, Habeas Corpus rights have now been extended to people who NEVER had them before. That is NOT a good thing.

Let's see if we're better off two years from now or now. I'm willing to bet the DJIA will be back above 12000, unemployment will be around 5.5%,
    We may well be better off, in a year or so - in fact I think it quite likely - we have had Trillions of dollars "priming the pump" that is BOUND to turn things around - at least in the short /mid term (1-5 years). We also have oil prices that have fallen dramatically which will act as a HUGE tax cut and will also stimulate the economy.

The problem with the Obama plan is the long term suppression of economic freedom. That won't show up for several years. The tax increases he plans won't effect anything until about a year after they are put into effect. It just takes a while for these things to work their way through the economy - it is a well known phenomena called "policy lag".

and our foreign policy will have the backing of a much broader coalition.

Bye, bye.

A broader coalition of spineless Chamberlains is a worthless coalition. We had a broad coalition and HAVE a broad coalition against Iran. That is really working out well. We have been following the liberal advice in that country for decades now and it is going to lead to an actual nuclear war. Contrary to the crap you hear reported, Bush has NOT "gone it alone" with Iran and HAS been working with a broad and near unanimous worldwide coalition - yet Iran constantly flaunts it's growing capabilities with nothing but an endless procession of "stern " warnings of "serious" consequences. Yeah - serious consequences like another "stern" warning.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 11-13-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    You got this wrong, no one has been denied Habeas Corpus rights that precedent had not already prevented them from having. In FACT, Habeas Corpus rights have now been extended to people who NEVER had them before. That is NOT a good thing.
    Quick reply and I hope to come back in more detail later. Jose Padilla, an American citizen, was held for three years, without charge and without access to representation. Finally, Bush's buddies on the USSC bought him (Bush) enough time to charge him by ruling that Padilla's attornies were naming the wrong defendant (I think they named Rumsfeld, but I'd have to look it up). However, it was clear that he would win when they refiled, precipitating the ultimate filing of charges.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I'll take that bet..

My call is more like 8.9% by end June 2009. If it's under that, I lose, if its over that, I win.

Deal?
    No, no, no. I agree with you that in 6 months the unemployment rate will be much higher.

Banned
    Quick reply and I hope to come back in more detail later. Jose Padilla, an American citizen, was held for three years, without charge and without access to representation. Finally, Bush's buddies on the USSC bought him (Bush) enough time to charge him by ruling that Padilla's attornies were naming the wrong defendant (I think they named Rumsfeld, but I'd have to look it up). However, it was clear that he would win when they refiled, precipitating the ultimate filing of charges.
    I care more about the border agents imprisoned than a shit bag terrorist like Padila.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I care more about the border agents imprisoned than a shit bag terrorist like Padila.
    let me add to this - a shit bag terrorist caught in the act of taking up arms against this country in a foreign nation during a time of war. Generally speaking - during times of war - any enemy captured is held either until there is a prisoner exchange or the end of hostilities where upon a trial would commence. Padila should count himself lucky that we do not treat our prisoners in the same way he would have treated our soldier had he captured them.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    let me add to this - a shit bag terrorist caught in the act of taking up arms against this country in a foreign nation during a time of war. Generally speaking - during times of war - any enemy captured is held either until there is a prisoner exchange or the end of hostilities where upon a trial would commence. Padila should count himself lucky that we do not treat our prisoners in the same way he would have treated our soldier had he captured them.
    Sorry, but has war been declared by anyone? If you are going to say that a fundamental right such as habeas corpus can be tossed whenever our troops are in combat, you might just as well write it off for good. Give away liberties for security and you'll never get those liberties back.
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 11-13-2008 at 03:07 PM.