Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1 Tax free munis anyone? 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Does anyone know much about these? I just got some Van Kempen. Some of them are both fed and state tax free with yields of almost 6%.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Does anyone know much about these? I just got some Van Kempen. Some of them are both fed and state tax free with yields of almost 6%.
    That a locked in Yield or a minimum guarantee yield also are they pretax tax exempt ? Munis are a solid low risk low to moderate return investment. Someone in your age bracket & income level could possibly afford financially & time wise a somewhat more aggressive investment. It's good to have a little bit of cushion against the risk & uncertainty though.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this post and from any communication related to this post is for information purposes only. The information mentioned in this post may not be suitable for you. If you have any doubts you should contact an independent financial adviser. In particular some of the information mentioned may not be regulated under the Financial Services Act 1986 or at all and the protection provided to you under this Act will not apply.:p
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    That a locked in Yield or a minimum guarantee yield also are they pretax tax exempt ? Munis are a solid low risk low to moderate return investment. Someone in your age bracket & income level could possibly afford financially & time wise a somewhat more aggressive investment. It's good to have a little bit of cushion against the risk & uncertainty though.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this post and from any communication related to this post is for information purposes only. The information mentioned in this post may not be suitable for you. If you have any doubts you should contact an independent financial adviser. In particular some of the information mentioned may not be regulated under the Financial Services Act 1986 or at all and the protection provided to you under this Act will not apply.:p
    I love the disclaimer!! :p

    It's a minimum guaranteed yield. They are post tax free. I realize they're rather low to moderate (in usual markets) but in this market an annual yield over 5% is pretty damn good! My issue is that most of my retirement will probably be taxable, so I do need some non-taxable income as well.

    I'm not a huge fan of tying my money up for so long, as I like to be more liquid. But I have to admit that this market has me terrified with the losses, and I haven't even looked at my retirement statements yet. Luckily I generally only get them quarterly, although in a month or two I'll be able to look at them online daily. That will probably suck!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I love the disclaimer!! :p!
    I thought it prudent just in case any lawyers lurking about

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    It's a minimum guaranteed yield. They are post tax free. I realize they're rather low to moderate (in usual markets) but in this market an annual yield over 5% is pretty damn good! My issue is that most of my retirement will probably be taxable, so I do need some non-taxable income as well.!
    I wouldn't overly worry about the taxes so much as what's there to tax or not. $1000/Mo. nontaxable vs $2500/Mo taxable disbursement , Ya know what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of tying my money up for so long, as I like to be more liquid. But I have to admit that this market has me terrified with the losses, and I haven't even looked at my retirement statements yet. Luckily I generally only get them quarterly, although in a month or two I'll be able to look at them online daily. That will probably suck!
    a Necessary evil of sorts to fully capitalize on tax advantages/consequences. Plus it may suck today but eventually comes the day you can hike to the mountaintop,plop yer but down and crack open a cool one & think "Ya know that wasn't so bad after all".

    If you are a skeerdy kat when it comes to the mkt stick to the shallow end of the pool as long as you are in the pool you'll be fine. getting in over your head does have its rewards from time to time though. I would say your best bet would be to get with someone and develop an investment strategy based on current income,risk threshold & future goals. Do Dollar cost avg and leave a MSG of "Do not disturb unless ....". then forget about it.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I thought it prudent just in case any lawyers lurking about



    I wouldn't overly worry about the taxes so much as what's there to tax or not. $1000/Mo. nontaxable vs $2500/Mo taxable disbursement , Ya know what I mean.



    a Necessary evil of sorts to fully capitalize on tax advantages/consequences. Plus it may suck today but eventually comes the day you can hike to the mountaintop,plop yer but down and crack open a cool one & think "Ya know that wasn't so bad after all".

    If you are a skeerdy kat when it comes to the mkt stick to the shallow end of the pool as long as you are in the pool you'll be fine. getting in over your head does have its rewards from time to time though. I would say your best bet would be to get with someone and develop an investment strategy based on current income,risk threshold & future goals. Do Dollar cost avg and leave a MSG of "Do not disturb unless ....". then forget about it.
    Yes, that person is actually what led me to the tax frees. He has been handling my SEP plan for the past few years and has bugged me about actual planning. I had some money with a broker and I finally pulled the plug on him and gave that, plus some of my savings, over to the advisor. It frightened me when he looked at my stock fund and said "I can't figure out what he was doing. It doesn't look like there was any kind of strategy." Great.

    But I am a scaredy cat when it comes to investing. The first time I plunked down a whole bunch of money in the stock market was August 11, 2001. We all know how that turned out a month later.

    But since there does seem to be an actual strategy, as well as goals (I had to straighten him out on his theory that I would only want to spend interest and dividends and leave the principal alone when I retire) I feel a bit better.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •