Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decided to post this here,it was originally posted at RO:

I knew that Bob, but taking MONTHS to get it back online happened because the previous owner was not paying attention. That is what happens when the owner doesn’t take their forums seriously,it tends to suffer. The ORIGINAL owner was great! as he made his presence known with his regular postings and administrative actions,which help drive the forum ahead.

I have seen this pattern several times now, Liberty Dwells forum was hacked,but owner didn’t restore it because he didn’t do proper backups. Then he finds some of the stuff,he didn’t restore it because he took way to long to do it. Globalic Warming forum, died because the owner didn’t maintain the set up,it was a decent warmist site too which is a shame as the main moderator there allowed skeptics like me to post my stuff without a problem. It died due to a spam bomb attack,since he never upgraded to phpBB3,with a much better spam prevention set up. Same with Bouncers forum, another interesting liberal forum that was neglected by the owner,who got angry with me for making suggestions,even banned me,then left in a huff (the forum was still alive then) but the Moderator restored me, but stopped visiting there for a while,then later decided to see what it look like now,it has been wiped out by hackers who love long out of data phpbb2 software. The list goes on.

One last forum before I end this rant,

Free Conservatives was a large active forum with a few thousand members in it.I joined that place in Jan 1,2005,enjoyed posting there with over 5,000 postings in it. But something rotten was going on during the time I was active,the quality of the Moderating was at times TERRIBLE,they were grossly unfair to the many liberals who for some reason had joined by the HUNDREDS to debate something,which provides energy to the place The Mod decisions were too often one sided and simply unfair,I remember saying to myself about it over and as I saw it happen. The owner after a few years (Warlady) had taken a back seat and away for long periods of time,which means no one in place to keep the Mods honest. She came back a different person,who was heck of a lot more intolerant of opposing viewpoints,the mods seem to pick up on it, where they started banning even conservatives too. The liberals stopped joining and the ones who were there became members of the banned list,which essentially killed the forum,but there were a lot of great stuff still sitting in it,including a huge sub forum on climate stuff that I was very active in.

I went away for a year,came back to see if the forum was under a new owner,whom I bugged a few times in personal messages,saying he needs to ditch most of the Mods,for new ones. He decided to delete a lot of stuff to restart a new one with me as an Administrator to watch over it,but then decided to wait a while to fully restore it,kept the place shut down. That is why Liberty Dwells grew rapidly for a time as people got tired of waiting for Rhino to get it rolling,I waited too for over THREE years for him to open it up. This means that members of both forums they were in were let down by the neglectful owners. The once fine conservative forum died because of bad neglectful owners who didn’t stay on top of it.

It was my favorite forum to visit too.I still miss it.

Here is the wayback to it, I was online as shown in the link in early 2006
    LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    It is sad.

I opined THERE that the cause of the problem was inattentive ownership. He wasn't coming often as he should as he IS the owner,thus the place was down for a while before he noticed, then kept it that way for a while longer,claiming that Hackers were hanging around. No wonder many stopped coming around.

You stopped being a mod then since that is what you are there.

Cheers.
    At the time of the hack John Galt had not logged onto RO for 7 or 8 months. I had been calling his attention to some kind of flaw that let "people" be members without being fully registered or approved. They could not post, but they flooded the list of members who had been on the site in the past 24 hours. They also flooded the members list. I banned them by the hundreds, but they still show on the members list, making the site look like a graveyard with ban-crazy Mods.

I probably should wander over there as a courtesy to the staff to say formally what has been the case since late October. I had said months ago that I was resigning, but the new owner persuaded me to give it a couple of weeks. I did more than that.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    At the time of the hack John Galt had not logged onto RO for 7 or 8 months. I had been calling his attention to some kind of flaw that let "people" be members without being fully registered or approved. They could not post, but they flooded the list of members who had been on the site in the past 24 hours. They also flooded the members list. I banned them by the hundreds, but they still show on the members list, making the site look like a graveyard with ban-crazy Mods.

I probably should wander over there as a courtesy to the staff to say formally what has been the case since late October. I had said months ago that I was resigning, but the new owner persuaded me to give it a couple of weeks. I did more than that.
    Ahhh, I knew he was not around for a while, but SEVEN MONTHS! That is crazy,imagine if all the Administrators of this board go on a long vacation,I expect problems showing up after a while to drive the Mods mad. The board could be damaged too,as people run off thinking it is the end.

I am thinking about asking them to let me take ownership of RO,since it WILL fail the way it is now. They clearly don't see that the forum is nearly dead now,with the new Owner not working hard to gather up all the legitimate members to fire up their enthusiasm about the restoration of the forum,that they are being missed. The Mods are good, but the software is bad and the current owner nearly invisible, he even admits he is there to maintain the board doing little else. Not a good sign since Owners are EXPECTED to go on the front lines or have an assigned Administrator be up front driving the public side of the board while the owner lurk in the background,still visible to membership.

If by a miracle I do take ownership, will drop that software for either IPB (Expensive,with a blog) or myBB (my favorite free software, but no blog). Then chose one of the Mods to be a SITE Administrator to run the Moderator board,make final permanent Ban decisions. All other Mods can make temporary bans to stop them cold. In myBB software, you can clean up all the spamming posts of anyone with a single click of a button, or shut down the registration area completely stopping anyone trying to sneak in.

I handle opposing comments very differently from most owners because as long as they conform to the obvious board rules,without deliberate trolling liberals,marxists and other non conservative can find a place in the forum the way they once did at Free Conservatives. It was exciting when I had to work at defending my position on topics,to do some research to make a good counter reply.

What do you and other here think?