Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Chivalry...dead, alive...or life support? 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Linda numbers' post in another thread about men and hats got me thinking about chivalry. Is it still alive? Should it be? If you're a man, do you practice it? If you're a woman do you accept it, expect it?

    It used to be that if a woman walked over to a table to sit down, the men would all stand until she was seated, and at least one or two would assist with pulling the chair out for her. I generally find now that of a table of 6, one will make at least a half-hearted effort to pull the chair out for the lady...the other 5 will not stop shoveling the mashed potatoes in their mouths long enough to notice.

    Opening car doors? I'm okay with a man opening the car door for me (assuming he is driving) as long as I'm getting in the car. But really, does he expect me to sit there all helpless and wait for him to walk around and open the door for me when I'm getting out?

    I used to not wait for a man to open other doors for me. Just habit (and the fact that my peer group generally didn't do such niceties). I've been scolded enough about my quick pace (and allegedly my pace would get even quicker as I approached doors) to now be able to smoothly wait and allow the door to be opened for me.

    Holding my coat for me to get into. I hate that. Most men do not have the ability to angle it properly to actually "help" me on with my coat and there's then nothing smooth about the gesture. I prefer to put my coat on myself.

    Lighting of the cigarette. I like this...as long as the man knows how to do it...and doesn't have the letter set super high because he's a cigar smoker (yes, I have some experience with this and the singed eyebrows to prove it).

    So...where do you all stand on chivalry?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,060
    Alive for men. On life support for women.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Alive for men. On life support for women.
    Expound, please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Expound, please.
    Merely kicking your well thought out thread when it was receiving no action was chivalrous enough. ;)
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Merely kicking your well thought out thread when it was receiving no action was chivalrous enough. ;)
    Such a gentleman you are!! :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Such a gentleman you are!! :D
    Yankees can never be gentlemen.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Expound, please.
    I'll do everything you mentioned in your OP except the part about walking around to open the door for a woman to exit a vehicle. I don't see much of that anymore.

    I always stand (or half-stand) when a woman sits down or exits from a table and sometimes I get looks like I just walked off Jupiter. Some time-honored traditions are fading away.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'll do everything you mentioned in your OP except the part about walking around to open the door for a woman to exit a vehicle. I don't see much of that anymore.

    I always stand (or half-stand) when a woman sits down or exits from a table and sometimes I get looks like I just walked off Jupiter. Some time-honored traditions are fading away.
    That one really is. If I am the last to arrive at a table I usually make a point of telling the gentlemen not to stand on my account...it always generates nervous laughter...of course 1/2 of them are still digging into their salads during the convocation...that annoys me as well.

    Oh...and people that start eating their food even though everyone has not yet been served. I never do...and then when it is noticed and the person waiting for their dinner tells me to go ahead and eat I love the sudden contortions of logic the other zealous eaters give as to why it was okay for them to begin eating. I usually just smile and nod and tell them of course they are right (but why the zeal over the rubber chicken they're about to gnaw on anyway?)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    That one really is. If I am the last to arrive at a table I usually make a point of telling the gentlemen not to stand on my account...it always generates nervous laughter...of course 1/2 of them are still digging into their salads during the convocation...that annoys me as well.

    Oh...and people that start eating their food even though everyone has not yet been served. I never do...and then when it is noticed and the person waiting for their dinner tells me to go ahead and eat I love the sudden contortions of logic the other zealous eaters give as to why it was okay for them to begin eating. I usually just smile and nod and tell them of course they are right (but why the zeal over the rubber chicken they're about to gnaw on anyway?)
    Sadly chivalry is pretty much dead. So is politeness. Being a smartass seems to be the preferred way to act. Shallow, thoughtless, snappy seem to be the norm.

    But SR wasn't kidding about the chivalry thing with him. He's a keeper. :D

    Appreciate your thoughtful thread.
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 06-16-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Chivalry is dead.


    Curse Sir Walter Raleigh.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •