Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I would...and I'd laugh at you afterwards.
    And that ladies and gentleman is why chivalry is dead..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    And that ladies and gentleman is why chivalry is dead..
    Funny. That's the same reason the cat is dead.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Funny. That's the same reason the cat is dead.
    Cause Shannon was around?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Cause Shannon was around?
    And has a license.

Expound, please.
    I'll do everything you mentioned in your OP except the part about walking around to open the door for a woman to exit a vehicle. I don't see much of that anymore.

I always stand (or half-stand) when a woman sits down or exits from a table and sometimes I get looks like I just walked off Jupiter. Some time-honored traditions are fading away.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'll do everything you mentioned in your OP except the part about walking around to open the door for a woman to exit a vehicle. I don't see much of that anymore.

I always stand (or half-stand) when a woman sits down or exits from a table and sometimes I get looks like I just walked off Jupiter. Some time-honored traditions are fading away.
    That one really is. If I am the last to arrive at a table I usually make a point of telling the gentlemen not to stand on my account...it always generates nervous laughter...of course 1/2 of them are still digging into their salads during the convocation...that annoys me as well.

Oh...and people that start eating their food even though everyone has not yet been served. I never do...and then when it is noticed and the person waiting for their dinner tells me to go ahead and eat I love the sudden contortions of logic the other zealous eaters give as to why it was okay for them to begin eating. I usually just smile and nod and tell them of course they are right (but why the zeal over the rubber chicken they're about to gnaw on anyway?)

I think for the most part, chivalry is dead, and that is a sad thing. I think the newer generation wouldn't know that if it bit them in the ass. I may be referring to manners, as well, because in my experience most of them severely lack it. I can only assume--since I am obviously not a woman--that they will not behave very chivalrous as young adults. However, I believe that a lot of us older adults still try to uphold certain acts of chivalry.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    I think for the most part, chivalry is dead, and that is a sad thing. I think the newer generation wouldn't know that if it bit them in the ass. I may be referring to manners, as well, because in my experience most of them severely lack it. I can only assume--since I am obviously not a woman--that they will not behave very chivalrous as young adults. However, I believe that a lot of us older adults still try to uphold certain acts of chivalry.
    It is sad. Chivalry is a good thing. Last year a man offered me his seat on the parking lot shuttle in the airport...I was absolutely shocked and grateful (I thought it boded well for the fact that I might not actually miss my plane..but no such luck!)

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    And has a license.
    You are legion.:mad:
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You are legion.:mad:
    I'm a Legionnaire..