Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 "Even though culture changes, God's word doesn't change." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    'Gay Is Not O.K.' sermon in Dallas draws protesters

About 100 people stood in front of First Baptist Church of Dallas on Sunday morning to protest Dr. Robert Jeffress' sermon, "Why Gay Is Not O.K."

Outside First Baptist Church of Dallas on Sunday, protesters Laura McFerrin (front), with (from left) her mother, Grace McFerrin, Eric Myers and Sam Fulcher, sang 'Jesus Loves Me.' Carrying signs bearing the words "I'm Gay and It's OK" and "Christ Taught Love Not Hate," the protesters lined both sides of San Jacinto Street in front of the downtown church.

They sang "Jesus Loves Me" and cheered when passing motorists honked their horns and waved in support.

"Most of the people here are Christians, and they're taking offense at the Baptist Church trying to say how Christ's love should be interpreted," said Patrick Hancock, who attended the peaceful protest. It was organized earlier this week when someone noticed the sermon topic on the church marquee.

Dr. Jeffress seemed unfazed by the protest. Everyone has a right to express their views, he said.

He didn't see any point in meeting with his critics.

"I have found from experience that it's very futile to argue with people about these issues," he said. "I believe the spirit of God has to convince people."

Dr. Jeffress said this is the first time that he's preached about homosexuality since being elected senior pastor of the 10,000-member church last year. But he's no stranger to the controversial topic.

When he was pastor of First Baptist Church of Wichita Falls, he led a fight to remove two gay-themed children's books from the public library.

He said Sunday's sermon was part of the "Politically Incorrect" series he's preaching that explores seven of the most controversial beliefs that Christians can articulate in today's culture.

Of those, "homosexuality is probably the most culturally explosive issue," he acknowledged. "Even though culture changes, God's word doesn't change."

Dr. Jeffress said the purpose of his sermon was to "let Christians know what the Bible says about this important topic, and to reaffirm that any and every sin can be forgiven."

Dr. Jeffress addressed what he called two "myths" about homosexuality: that prohibitions exist only in the Old Testament, and that Jesus never condemned this behavior.

During one of his three Sunday morning sermons, he cited New Testament passages that he said condemned homosexuality, including Romans 1:27.

It speaks of "men, leaving the natural use of the woman, [who] burned in their lust one toward another."

Dr. Jeffress acknowledged that "Jesus never used the word homosexual." However, he said, Christ condemned homosexuality by affirming Old Testament truths and by upholding God's plan for human sexuality – "one man and one woman in a marriage relationship."

In next week's sermon, Dr. Jeffress said he will address homosexuality again, including the assertion that "God wired me differently."

"My answer will surprise you," he told worshippers at the 9:30 a.m. service.

His answer might not sit well with Laura McFerrin, one of the protest organizers.

"I'm here because of the gay and lesbian children sitting in the pews now who are being told that being gay is not OK," she said, gesturing toward the church during Sunday's protest. "I was like those kids. The hardest part of coming out as a lesbian is aligning your faith with who you are."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4a4500c.html

So it's okay to indoctrinate children in public schools that being gay is OK. Many in the gay community are so hateful and intolerant...it's sickening that they have no respect for democracy or the freedom of speech.

I suspect that one day, perhaps not in my lifetime, God's true Chruch will be driven underground but until then preach on Brother.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cat714 View Post
    So it's okay to indoctrinate children in public schools that being gay is OK. Many in the gay community are so hateful and intolerant...it's sickening that they have no respect for democracy or the freedom of speech.
    Quick everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches! Let's go bash some of them dirty gays!

Quote Originally Posted by cat714 View Post
    Do you mean like this reasoned and dignified response - Gay anarchist 'action' hits church

The Rev. John Elieff, “Helps Minister” at Mt. Hope Church, said Bash Back members disrupted the service by bursting into the sanctuary, throwing fliers, hanging a banner from the balcony and pulling fire alarms.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

The section of scripture concerning gays is in the first few chapters of the book of 'romans'. Later in the scriptures, Christ would say 'I have not come to change one jot or tiddle of the law' (Tiddle = accent mark over a single letter). In 'romans' it says even those who say there's nothing wrong with gays deserve death. One of my sisters is gay. I can see why these people were hated. She has a really nasty personality, and if you call her on it she falls back onto the whole gay-bashing hater routine. I avoid her like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Quick everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches! Let's go bash some of them dirty gays!
    Yup! That's exactly what I want to do. Thanks for letting me know you have the intelligence of a celery stick.

Actually, the bible has changed a lot over the past 1700 years.

Martin Luther himself butchered it.

Different religious groups have changed words and contexts and even deleated whole books in order to push their own agendas.

Different cultures have reworded it.

Now we have 'feminist' bibles, 'inclusive language bibles', and bibles for every group you can think of.

The 'original bible' of ~ 350 that was put out by the Catholic Church just isn't around anymore.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Actually, the bible has changed a lot over the past 1700 years.

Martin Luther himself butchered it.

Different religious groups have changed words and contexts and even deleated whole books in order to push their own agendas.

Different cultures have reworded it.

Now we have 'feminist' bibles, 'inclusive language bibles', and bibles for every group you can think of.

The 'original bible' of ~ 350 that was put out by the Catholic Church just isn't around anymore.
    Thank you!

Which is why it simply doesn't make sense to take all of it seriously. When you realize there is no divinity in the Bible... its just a book like any other.. and the advice contained within was written by superstitious 2k+ year old shepherds and their pals in a backwoods part of the world... and while certainly there are bits of wisdom.. the passages about homosexuality should join the ones about stoning disobedient children, and beating your slave properly as another part that gets conveniently ignored in order for the religion to function in a modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Thank you!

Which is why it simply doesn't make sense to take all of it seriously. When you realize there is no divinity in the Bible... its just a book like any other.. and the advice contained within was written by superstitious 2k+ year old shepherds and their pals in a backwoods part of the world... and while certainly there are bits of wisdom.. the passages about homosexuality should join the ones about stoning disobedient children, and beating your slave properly as another part that gets conveniently ignored in order for the religion to function in a modern world.
    Sinful behavior remains sinful behavior. Jesus granted forgiveness, and continues to do so, but he does not change what constitutes a sin. Adultery, pre-marital sex, homosexual sex, theft, lying, etc. are all still considered sinful behavior, but God happily and willingly forgives those who repent, as should we all. The issue arises when those participating in sinful behavior begin insisting that we no longer consider it a sin.

The books that are included in the New Testament are the same for all Christians, as far as I know, and while there are different translations, as far as I know, they keep the same substantive meaning. Jesus doesn't say "go kill your enemies" in one and "turn your cheek" in another. The Word of God (which, by the way, is a way to refer to Jesus) has not changed. It has been translated so that people can understand it, but if you go to Greek, or the Hebrew, it still stays the same.

Regarding the Apocryphal books, if you can find me a piece of Doctrine or Dogma that varies between denominations based on one the Apocryphal books I would be happy to discuss it with you, but to invalidate the entire Bible because some churches have excluded certain books is ridiculous.