Thread: Coal miner killed in eastern Pa. accident

Hybrid View

1. #1 Coal miner killed in eastern Pa. accident 
    MOUNT CARMEL, Pa. - A 40-year-old coal miner has been killed in an eastern Pennsylvania mine accident, authorities said Monday.

The accident happened just after 10 a.m. at the Harmony Mine near Mount Carmel, about 90 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

WNEP-TV reported that other miners were able to get the victim to the surface and he was airlifted to a hospital, where he died.

Federal and state inspectors were headed to the scene to determine the cause.

The mine is owned by UAE Coal Corp. Associates.

It is the third fatal mining accident in Pennsylvania this year.
    Link

Not much else at the link. I hate these stories.

noonwitch
    Working in a coal mine must be awful. I went on a tour once of the Seldom Seen mines in PA-somewhere near Barnesboro, Ebensburg, that area. It was scary, I didn't like the feeling of being underground.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Working in a coal mine must be awful. I went on a tour once of the Seldom Seen mines in PA-somewhere near Barnesboro, Ebensburg, that area. It was scary, I didn't like the feeling of being underground.
    My great grandfather was killed in a mining accident in PA. My grandfather was the only one of his brothers (he had 8 brothers, I think) that didn't work in the mines (he worked on the PA railroad and then became a truck driver). He was only 4 when his father was killed, but he said he just never could bring himself to go down into the mines for work. It's a tough life, for sure.