Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Friday Filanthropy 
    Power CUer
    It's warm and rainy and foggy in Washington this morning. It's the "thanksgiving" time of year, and we're headed into the season where we're reminded to think well of our fellow man, whatever he might have done to deserve it (or not).

TOTD: What are your charities? Do you have organizations to whom you give consistently, and do you have a giving plan? My husband and I have a set amount for giving every month, and we hit the target consistently. I keep a spreadsheet of the checks written during the year for charitable purposes, and it's all set to give to the accountant at tax time.

Our most frequent charity is Smile Train, which I have mentioned here before. They fix cleft palate in poor children around the world. For $250 you can pay for a complete surgery, and I'm happy to say that we "repair" five or six children a year. We also give to my prep school, Habitat for Humanity, Children's Hospital in Washington, the National Cathedral, and the Whitman Walker Clinic.

What are your causes?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

2. #2 It's Friday 
    It's Friday!!!

TOTD: I have no thoughts at this time....Check back at a later date..:D
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Power CUer
    Excuse me. You may not be aware that I am the Friday thread person. I have done the thread for this morning. It's all covered. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Yes, it's Friday.

TOTD: How much time do you need??? :D

Ree already has today covered.

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...ead.php?t=7905

Mods, please lock this thread. :)
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 11-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.

TOTD:

I really don't have a plan or keep records like that.

When I've got a need to I'll drop old clothes off at one of the bins in most shopping centers.

I've heard and read some many bad things about salaries and overhead costs for name charities I'm leery of giving them anything. I know not all are bad, but I just don't have researching and following up with it high on my priority list.

I've got plenty of nieces, nephews and co-workers kids that have fund raisers for school uniforms or trips that I support with buying crates of oranges, raffle tickets, girl scout cookies, etc.... I also used to dump my car change tray into the fireman's boot when it was legal.
    Last edited by Space Gravy; 11-14-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Ree already has today covered.

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...ead.php?t=7905

Mods, please lock this thread.
    Damn, and I thought this was a good topic too!
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Banned
    Another gloomy day here in southern New England -- cloudy, cold, and generally miserable. I'll be "bach'ng" it this weekend as the girlfriend is again off to the Big City for her class on implants.

TOTD: The Humane Society and the ASPCA.

TOTD: Not specific organizations, but I work with and donate to a lot of temporary charity drives through my church (i.e. this weekend, I'll be buying a soccer ball for a 13-year-old boy as part of my church's Christmas toy drive for needy kids, and I'm also currently collecting spare change to benefit a residential maternity home for pregnant women and teens in need).

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Excuse me. You may not be aware that I am the Friday thread person. I have done the thread for this morning. It's all covered. ;)
    FINE....delete the thread...:p
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...