Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a TV, Need Help 
    I'm rapidly coming to the end of my deployment in Iraq (thank God) and I've managed to pay off all the credit cards, bills, etc and save a pretty nice nest egg. Already talked it over with the wife and I'm clear to splurge on a TV for me, we currently have a large set but it's not an HDTV and I'm looking to upgrade.

SO....what I'm in need of is some advice on brands, models, etc. I'm in the market for something preferably 40" or larger, LCD with a great picture. Money isn't a big limiting factor, although I'm thinking if I spend more then 1500 bucks wifey might be just a little upset. :o

Since this is the tech arena, anyone got some suggestions?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

I wish I could help but my TVs are always whatever TV Mr. Snaps is tired of at that moment. Somebody will be along with real information, though. There are some very big tech toy people on the site.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I'm rapidly coming to the end of my deployment in Iraq (thank God) and I've managed to pay off all the credit cards, bills, etc and save a pretty nice nest egg. Already talked it over with the wife and I'm clear to splurge on a TV for me, we currently have a large set but it's not an HDTV and I'm looking to upgrade.

SO....what I'm in need of is some advice on brands, models, etc. I'm in the market for something preferably 40" or larger, LCD with a great picture. Money isn't a big limiting factor, although I'm thinking if I spend more then 1500 bucks wifey might be just a little upset. :o

Since this is the tech arena, anyone got some suggestions?
    Don't buy a Sony !

Toshiba Regza 52 inch LCD.

The hardest thing for a TV to do, is the colour black. Most don't do black so well. Toshiba does.

Wait until around XMas, the prices on big screen LCD's and plasmas is supposed to drop through the floor this season.

rm -rf obama*

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post

The hardest thing for a TV to do, is the colour black. Most don't do black so well. Toshiba does.

Wait until around XMas, the prices on big screen LCD's and plasmas is supposed to drop through the floor this season.
    I agree in this economy they will drop the prices to the floor to move them.LCD'S are the way to go but HD won't make that much of a difference.Every thing I ever purchsed from Sony died within the first year and a large screen is too major an investment to have fail early.Stay away from Blue Ray if you are able and stick with the DVD player you have now.
    Last edited by megimoo; 11-15-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post

This is correct with the black problem and TV's.

The best thing to do for a TV if you're going over 52" is get a plasma and a 1080p.

Toshiba's are extremely good in their LCD quality.

One other thing to consider when buying a HDTV is your digital source. You have to be wary of how compressed the signal is.

Direct TV IMHO has the best quality image for HDTV.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We have a 46 inch LG HDTV LCD that's pretty good, 1080p.

Also a SONY 32 inch HD LCD in the bedroom, 720p.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I'm thinking if I spend more then 1500 bucks wifey might be just a little upset. :o
    "Better to ask forgiveness than permission".

Factors to consider:

Plasma versus LCD - if you do a poll of the guys who work in high end TV stores (not Circuit City :D) you will discover most of them own Plasma. Yeah, early ones had a burn in factor which is easily rectified by not watching a stationary picture. Still, either is quality these days.

Interfaces - make sure you have HDMI 1.3 interfaces. Unless you are weird and have lost of inputs they all have enough of them. But make sure it has them.

Picture quality - 1080p/i. They will even be surpassing that in the near future but I don't know anyone making anything better now.

If you get a 40-50" TV from a reputable manufacturer with HDMI and 1080i/p you won;t go wrong. Advice to wait until after Christmas may have value if you have the patience.

I just bought a Samsung 58" plasma and it is amazing. IMO any of Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer (the Elite are very expensive), Panasonic, LG will make you happy, and all can be had in smaller than 50" (except Elite) for less than $1500 if you know how to shop.

Keep in mind, if you get HDTV the source is important too. Unless you are receiving HD content it still isn't HD.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    "Better to ask forgiveness than permission".
    That's dang funny. :D

Thanks for all the help everybody!
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke