Thread: Gates Sends More Predators, Reapers To Centcom

1. #1 Gates Sends More Predators, Reapers To Centcom 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

In the wake of the U.S. Air Force leadership shake up, Defense Secretary Robert Gates is directing the service to field six more Predator combat air patrols (CAPs), as well as more Reapers to support operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The order comes shortly after Gates’ first briefing from the new Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Task Force June 6. He set up the task force in April, explaining during a speech at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., that getting warfighting support from institutional military — namely, the Air Force — was “like pulling teeth.”

A lack of support for the ground wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was one of several reasons cited by insiders and observers for his abrupt ousting of Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne and Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley.

While DOD is looking across the services for ISR support, the Air Force’s immediate task is to field more Predators and Reapers, which provide much-desired full-motion video to operators on the ground. The Air Force has fielded 25 Predator MQ-1B CAPs — each including four air vehicles plus ground control and support — as of this month. Gates is directing that six more be fielded by December, a military official says.

snip
    Industry, meanwhile, is compiling copious options for the task force. Goodrich is preparing to begin flight testing its latest upgrade to the Senior-Year Electro-Optical Reconnaissance System, Syers-3, this summer. Syers-3 will be used during a summer 2009 demonstration funded by a fiscal 2008, $16 million congressional plus-up to the Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (Joint STARS). The concept is to co-host the moving target indictor capability of the Joint STARS radar as well as the electro-optical imagery of Syers on the same platform.

Rules of engagement typically call for an image of the target from a camera — not a synthetic radar image — before launching weapons.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...headline=Gates Sends More Predators, Reapers To Centcom

Anyone in the Army could have told him this many years ago. The Air Force is not exactly "user friendly" for lack of a better phrase. The close combat air support role is best kept by the ground force commander.

An unfortunate example is Strat Air. Our former adversaries (Russians) move our equipment more efficiently with less B.S. and a tenth the cost of our own Air Force. The reason; our Russian friends have learned the lesson that private enterprises are much better than big gov't elephants at getting the job done.

Is this a combat pilot pride thing? I, for one, find this kind of mechanism a great use of my tax dollar - zapping bugs wherever required, while affording our folks with real time security and support. But I can imagine what USN drivers will think when they see that first un-manned combat vehicle launched off the flight deck.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Is this a combat pilot pride thing? I, for one, find this kind of mechanism a great use of my tax dollar - zapping bugs wherever required, while affording our folks with real time security and support. But I can imagine what USN drivers will think when they see that first un-manned combat vehicle launched off the flight deck.
    All ready been done .Try to keep up old grampa or its the 'Sleepy Havens' rest home for you !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    All ready been done .Try to keep up old grampa or its the 'Sleepy Havens' rest home for you !
    Buuaaahhhhaaaaa!

But really - an armed UAV has been launched from a carrier steam-slot already? Link?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    All ready been done.
    >>> CALLING A NO LINK = B/S ALERT!!!<<<

* tic-tic-tic-tic