Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    July 10

1783 - Domingo Cabello y Robles, Spanish governor of Texas, issued an ordinance, that imposed strict guidelines for the roundup, branding, and export of unbranded cattle.

1882 - Ima Hogg was born in Mineola, TX. She was the daughter of Texas governor James Stephen Hogg. She helped found the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

1900 - The state of Texas granted a charter to the Rosenberg Library Association of Galveston. The library was previously known as the Galveston Mercantile Library.

1998 - The Diocese of Dallas agreed to pay $23.4 million to nine former altar boys who said they had been molested by a priest.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

July 11

1905 - The Texas City Independent School District was established.

1919 - The Longview Race Riot began. A series of events lead Governor William Hobby to order Texas Rangers and National Guard troops to the area and declare martial law. The governor lifted martial law at noon on July 18.

1949 - Texas Governor Beauford Jester died while traveling to Houston. He was the first Texas governor to die in office.

1985 - Nolan Ryan (Houston Astros) became the first major league pitcher to earn 4,000 strikeouts in a career. (Texas)

2009 - The keel for the USS Fort Worth was laid at the Marinette Marine Shipyard in Marinette, WI.

T-4

July 12

1917 - Central Texas celebrated "Mebane Day" in honor of Alexander Mebane. Mebane had cross-bred cotton to create a hardy, high-yield "Mebane Triumph" cottonseed.

1943 - In Houston, Baylor College of Medicine opened in a former Sears Roebuck store.

1992 - A memorial to Buddy Holly was unveiled in Dallas, TX.

2016 - In Dallas, TX, President Obama and former President George W. Bush attended a memorial service for five murdered police officers. The officers were killed on July 7 during a protest march in downtown Dallas.

July 13

1859 - In the Brownsville area, clashes between Anglo lawmen and Juan Nepomuceno "Cheno" Cortina began. On this day, Cortina killed Brownsville city marshal Robert Shears. The "Cortina War" ended in 1875 when Cortina was arrested and removed to Mexico City.

1903 - The Texas Legislature offered $50,000 to anyone who could devise a way to eradicate the boll weevil, which had been destroying cotton crops in Texas. The prize was never awarded.

1998 - "Image of an Assassination" went on sale. The video documentary is of Abraham Zapruder's home video of U.S. President Kennedy's assassination in Dallas.

July 14

1805 - Charlotte Allen was born. She is known as the "Mother of Houston." Her and her brothers bought land along Buffalo Bayou to establish the town in 1836.

1879 - The state of Texas authorized selling state land for fifty cents an acre to reduce public debt and to pay into the Permanent School Fund. The Fifty Cent Act was repealed on January 22, 1883 due to fraudulent speculation in the land.

1890 - The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway (SA&AP) went into receivership. In 1934, 819 miles of SA&AP track were merged into the Texas and New Orleans Railroad Company.

July 15

1839 - The Battle of Neches began. It was one of the major battles of the Cherokee War and was fought along the Neches River near the present-day Tyler, Texas. About 500 Texas troops routed 700-800 Cherokees led by Chief Bowl. The battle virtually ended Indian issues in the settled parts of Texas.

1865 - The German-language pager Freie Presse für Texas was founded by August Siemering.

1882 - In Galveston, the Texas Bar Association was organized. It was the predecessor of the State Bar of Texas.

1983 - President Reagan met with Democratic Representative James Wright of Texas.

This is the last continuous entry on this thread, the trip through Texas history can be continued here:

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...-Texas-History

There are a couple of gaps in that thread that I hope to catch and add here at the proper time. (July 21-24 next)

Hope you enjoyed the exercise.
    Last edited by Retread; 07-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.

July 21

1821 - The flag of Spain was lowered for the last time in San Antonio, TX.

1861 - Confederate general Barnard Elliott Bee Jr. died from wounds received at the first battle of Manassas (or Bull Run). During the battle, Bee cried, "Rally behind the Virginians! There stands Jackson like a stonewall!"

1988 - The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission purchased Big Bend Ranch in Presidio County to form Big Bend State Natural Area.

July 22

1760 - At the site of present day Ojinaga, Chihuahua, the Presidio del Norte was completed.

1887 - In Panhandle, TX, the Panhandle Herald was published for the first time.

2009 - Federal drug agents and Los Angeles police searched the Houston clinic of Conrad Murray. Murray was Michael Jackson's personal physician at the time of Jackson's death.