Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    May 12

1889 - In Fort Worth, the recently rebuilt Missouri Pacific Hospital was dedicated under its new name of St. Joseph's Infirmary. In 1930, the institution's name was changed to St. Joseph's Hospital.

1903 - The song "The Eyes of Texas" was first sung. The performance took place at the Hancock Opera House in Austin. The minstrel show benefitted the University of Texas track team.

1926 - Commercial aviation began in Texas with inauguration of air mail service between Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago.

1942 - Northeast of Huntsville, construction began on a German prisoner of war camp.

2003 - In Texas, fifty-nine Democratic lawmakers went into hiding over a dispute with Republican's over a congressional redistricting plan.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

May 13

1865 - The last land engagement of the American Civil War was fought at the Battle of Palmito Ranch in far south Texas, more than a month after General Lee's surrender at Appomattox, VA. Word of the war's end had not yet reached troops in Texas.

Texas Quote

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.
    - Former Texas Speaker of the House Billy Clayton

May 14

1836 - General Antonio López de Santa Anna and Texas provisional president David Burnett signed two Treaties of Velasco ending the Texas Revolution. However, Mexico did not recognize Texas' independence and Texas' boundary was not determined until the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed in 1848 at the end of the Mexican War.

1839 - Manuel Flores and his band killed four members of a party of surveyors between Seguin and San Antonio. On May 17, Texas Ranges caught up with the group and routed them.

1854 - Texas Germans at the annual Staats-Saengerfest (State Singers' Festival) declared slavery to be evil. (May 14-15)

1888 - In Austin, a week-long celebration dedicating the Capitol building began. The building was not officially accepted by the Capitol Board until December 6.

May 15

1755 - Tomás Sánchez de la Barrera y Garza founded Villa de Laredo. The location was chosen in an attempt to thwart French incursion into Spanish territory.

1890 - Katherine Anne Porter (born Callie Russell Porter) was born in Indian Creek, TX. She published the novels "Ship of Fools" and "Pale Horse-Pale Rider." Two Texas historical markers were erected in her honor at Indian Creek Cemetery in Brown County in 1990 and another one in Kyle in 1991.

1918 - Charles D. Tandy was born in Brownsville, TX. His company, Tandy Corporation, purchased RadioShack in 1963.

1993 - In San Antonio, TX, the Alamodome opened.

2013 - A tornado outbreak in north Texas killed at least 6 people.

2016 - Rougned Odor (Texas Rangers) punched Jose Bautista (Toronto Blue Jays) in the face after Bautista made a hard slide into Odor at second base. Odor was suspended two days later for eight games. The suspension was eventually adjusted to seven games.

Texas Quote

May 16

1843 - Two ships from the Texas Navy, the Austin and the Wharton, won a battle with two Mexican ships off the coast of the Yucatán. The four ships involved had fought before on April 30.

1888 - The capitol of Texas was dedicated in Austin. Construction and planning took more than seven years.

1898 - In San Antonio, Teddy Roosevlet arrived to recruit and train "Rough Riders" for the First Volunteer Cavalry.

1902 - Texas Ranger Anderson Yancey Baker killed suspected cattle rustler Ramón de la Cerda. The incident led to a feud that cost the lives of several more men.

May 17

1839 - On the North San Gabriel, Manuel Flores and his band were defeated by Texas Rangers. The Flores group had killed four members of a party of surveyors between Sequin and San Antonio on May 14.

1865 - Several miles northeast of Tyler, the last of 1,200 Federal prisoners left Camp Ford.

1893 - The Texas City Improvement Company filed the first townsite plat in Texas City.

1913 - In Houston, TX, the new Rice Hotel building opened.

1922 - Singer and composer Leon Roger Payne entered the Texas School for the Blind. His songs were later recorded by Elvis Presley and Dean Martin.

2000 - The Eagles filed suit against the "Hotel California" restaurant in Dallas, TX, alleging trademark violations.

2015 - In Waco, TX, members from at least two motor cycle gangs began fighting at a Twin Peaks restaurant. Nine people were killed and 18 other injured. About 170 gang members were arrested at the scene.

Texas Quote

Texas does not, like any other region, simply have indigenous dishes. It proclaims them. It congratulates you, on your arrival, at having escaped from the slop pails of the other 49 states.
    - Alistair Cooke

May 18

1902 - In Goliad, TX, a tornado killed 114 people.

1912 - The USS Texas was christened.

1978 - "The Buddy Holly Story" had its world premiere in Dallas, TX.

May 19

1836 - A large force of Comanche warriors with Kiowa and Kichai allies attacked Fort Parker. The Comanches seized five captives, including Cynthia Ann Parker. Parker remained with the Comanche for about 25 years and was "rescued" on December 18, 1860.

1891 - Rice Institute, later known as Rice University, was chartered in Houston.

1910 - Near Charleston, TX, a 500-pound meteorite fell during the passage of Halley's Comet.

1912 - The Associated Advertising Clubs of America held its first convention in Dallas, TX.

May 20

1805 - The viceroy of Mexico was ordered to compile all pertinent data concerning the true boundary between Texas and Louisiana.

1857 - Camp Wood was established on the east bank of the Nueces River. The site is about 50 miles northwest of Fort Inge.

1893 - The second town of Amarillo was selected as the seat of Potter County.

1933 - The FBI's hunt for Bonnie and Clyde began when the United States Commissioner at Dallas, TX, issued a warrant against Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker for interstate transportion a stolen vehicle.

1978 - "The Buddy Holly Story" premiered in Lubbock, TX. The film had its world premier in Dallas on May 18.

May 21

1542 - Moscoso Alvarado led his expedition into Texas.

1930 - The Texas Physical Therapy Association was organized as the state chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association.

1941 - The state of Texas filed for a charter to establish a Fort Worth Children's Museum.