Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    June 22

1795 - Emily Austin Perry was born in Lexington, KY. She was an early settler of Texas and the sole heir to Stephen F. Austin.

1824 - The battle of Jones Creek was fought between colonists of the lower Brazon River and Karankawa Indians.

1875 - Gregorio Cortez was born. He was famous for evading Texas Rangers while wanted on murder charges. The incident inspired a ballad, and Cortez became a folk hero.

1921 - In Kerrville, the first patients were admitted to the American Legion Memorial Sanatorium. The sanatorium is now known as the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

June 23

1601 - Spanish explorer Juan de Oñate began an expedition in search of riches. The search took him across the Texas Panhandle. 20140623

1819 - A provisional Texas government declared independence from Spain.

1919 - The Texas House passed the Nineteenth Amendment granting women the right to vote. The Texas Senate passed the amendment on June 28.

1931 - Wiley Post and Harold Gatty took off in an attempt to fly around the world. The trip took 8 days, 15 hours and 51 minutes. Post was a Texas native born in Cornith, Van Zandt County.

1950 - The Texas Secretary of State granted Harmon Dobson the "Whataburger" trademark.

June 24

1699 - San Juan Bautista Mission was founded near Lampazos, Neuvo León, Mexico. A few months later the mission moved to a site near Guerrero, Coahuila. This mission served as a gateway for many expeditions into the interior of Texas.

1851 - Fort Belknap was established in what later became known as Young County, in north central Texas.

1900 - Singer/composer Gene Austin was born in Gainesville, TX. He went on to record "My Blue Heaven" in 1927 which sold over 12 million copies.