Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    June 11

1865 - The Texas State Treasury in Austin was robbed. The thieves stole about $17,000 and fled to Mt. Bonnell. Only one robber was captured.

1936 - President Franklin Roosevelt and Governor James Allred officiated the groundbreaking of the Texas Memorial Museum. The museum opened on January 15, 1939.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

June 12

1886 - James Farmer was born. He was the first black man to hold a PhD in Texas. He taught at Huston-Tillotson College and served as a pastor in Texarkana and Galveston.

1901 - Karnes County sheriff W. T. Morris was killed by Gregorio Lira Cortez. The misunderstandings, extended pursuit, capture and trials of Cortez led to Cortez being seen a folk hero to many Hispanics and some Anglos.

1967 - Thomas Campbell Clark retired from the Supreme Court of the United States. He was the first Texan to serve on the court.

1969 - El Paso County gave Hueco Tanks to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. In May of 1970 the 860-acre Hueco Tanks State Historical Park was opened to the public.

2011 - The Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA Championship. The defeated the Miami Heat 4 games to 2.

2014 - Yu Darvish (Texas Rangers) threw his first complete-game shutout. The Rangers beat the Florida Marlins 6-0.

June 13

1875 - Miriam "Ma" Ferguson was born. She served as the first woman governor of Texas from 1924 to 1926.

1940 - U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt signed the $25 million appropriations bill for the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi.

1992 - Law enforcement officials in Texas called for a ban on Ice-T's "Cop Killer" album.

2004 - In College Station, TX, former U.S. President George H.W. Bush did a 13,000-foot parachute jump over his presidential library.

2015 - In Dallas, TX, a gunman opened fire on officers outside Dallas Police Headquarters. He was later shot and killed through the windshield of his van by a police sniper.

June 15

1892 - Tex Owens was born in Killeen, Texas. He recorded the hit song "Cattle Call" in 1935.

1921 - Bessie Coleman became the world's first licensed African-American pilot. She was born in Atlanta, TX, on January 26, 1892.

1943 - In Beaumont, an estimated 3,000 people marched on City Hall after learning that a white woman had accused a black man of rape. The group dispersed into smaller groups and many business and houses were damaged in the pillaging.

1974 - Elvis Presley began a 18-date tour at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth, TX.

1982 - In Houston, TX, President Reagan attended and addressed a fundraiser dinner in honor of Governor Clements.

2010 - Lockheed Martin announced that the USS Fort Worth was at its halfway point in construction and was on schedule for delivery to the U.S. Navy in 2012.

2012 - An 3.1 earthquake hit about 16 miles south of Fort Worth. No injuries were reported.

June 16

1855 - About 200 French colonists arrived at the colony of La Réunion. The colony, on the south bank of the Trinity River in central Dallas County, only lasted about eighteen months before financial insolvency killed it.

1879 - The post office at Caddo Mills opened.

1892 - Ellen Schulz Quillin was born. She established the Witte Museum in San Antonio in 1926 and served as the museum’s first director.

2010 - Mother Mary Agnes Magevney joined the Dominican Sisters of Saint Mary's in Ohio. She later founded the Dominican Congregation of the Sacred Heart in Houston.

June 17

1836 - A mounted ranger company with the Texas revolutionary army captured the two Mexican ships Comanche and Fanny Butler. The company had captured the Watchman on June 3.

1872 - Manuel García was born. He became the first Mexican American to graduate from the Univeristy of Texas in 1894.

1897 - In Austin, the first official annual meeting of the Texas State Historical Association was held.

1899 - The event known as the Brazon Flood began. Over the next 11 days at least 284 people were killed when 8.9 inches of rain fell.

1965 - The Texas Panhandle Heritage Foundation opened the show "Thundering Sounds of the West" in an outdoor amphitheater in Palo Duro Canyon. The show ran until September 6, 1965. The success of the show led to the first annual presentation of the show "Texas" the following year.

June 18

1796 - Friedrich Diercks was born near the village of Neustadtgödens, Germany. In 1831, he founded Industry, TX, in Austin County. Industry was the first permanent German settlement in Texas.

1876 - The JA Ranch was created when Charles Goodnight and John G. Adair finalized a contract. It is the oldest known privately held cattle ranch in the Texas Panhandle.

1915 - Paul "Red" Adair was born in Houston, TX. Adair was an oil well firefighter known for putting out the Devil's Cigarette Lighter.

1971 - Southwest Airlines began service with its first flight from Love Field in Dallas.

Texas Quote

I like to think that when I play the guitar it sounds like Dallas. That's where I learned everything, all of the people I saw were playing here. I suppose it's a crazy way of putting it.
    - Jimmie Vaughn

June 19

1865 - General Gordon Granger landed at Galveston and issued a proclamation announcing that slavery had been aboloished and that all slaves in Texas were free. This day is referred to as "Juneteenth."

1890 - Larry Chittenden's "The Cowboys' Christmas Ball" was first published in the Anson "Texas Western."

1999 - The Dallas Stars won their first NHL Stanley Cup by defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the third overtime of game six. The game actually began on June 19th and ended on June 20th.

June 20

1835 - In Anahuac, William Barret Travis led insurgents to free Andrew Briscoe and DeWitt Clinton Harris. The men were being held over customs duties.

1841 - The Santa Fé Expedition left Central Texas on it way west to establish trade with and solidify Texas' claims to territory around Santa Fé. Members of the group were taken prison by Mexican troops and were not released until 1842.

1852 - At Las Moras Springs, Fort Clark was established.

1874 - In Clinton, TX, R.P. "Scrap" Taylor and two othere were lynched as part of the Sutton-Taylor feud. The feud ended on December 27, 1875 wheh Jim Taylor was killed by a Cuero posse.

1935 - The U.S. Congress passed legislation that acquired land in Texas through public and private donations to create Big Bend National Park.

2001 - In Texas, Andrea Yates was arrested for drowning her five children in a bathtub.

1963: Mr & Mrs Retread tied the knot
    Last edited by Retread; 06-21-2017 at 10:47 AM.

June 21

1845 - The annexation of Texas by the United States was approved by the Texas Congress.

0621 - The Dallas Herald was renamed the Dallas Weekly Herald.

1902 - Percy Eugene Foreman was born near Cold Springs, TX. He became one of the most famous trial lawyers in Texas history.

1985 - In Dallas, TX, President Reagan addressed the Convention of Lions Club International.

1999 - Pantera rode a float in the Dallas Stars Stanley Cup victory parade in downtown Dallas. Pantera is responsible for the Stars' theme song.