Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    April 15

1825 - Haden Edwards, Green DeWitt, and Robert Leftwich received empresario contract from the government of Texas to encourage settlement of Coahuila and Texas.

1836 - Captain William P. Harris, commander of the steamer Cayuga, evacuated Harrisburg just ahead of General Antonio López de Santa Anna and his troops.

1841 - The Austin Lyceum was dissolved. It was an early debating and lecutre society that had been organized in 1840.

1869 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the state still had the right to sue in federal courts despite having seceded in 1861. (Texas v. White)

1910 - The city of Harlingen, Texas, located at the intersection of U.S. Highways 77 and 83, was established with a population of 1,126.

1956 - In San Antonio, Elvis Presley appeared at the Municipal Auditorium.

1956 - In Austin, the restored French Legation was opened to the public.

1972 - The Texas Rangers lost to the California Angels, 1-0, in the Ranger's first game.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

April 16

1947 - In Texas City, TX, the French ship Grandcamp, carrying ammonium nitrate fertilizer, caught fire and blew up. The explosions and resulting fires killed 576 people.

1954 - Roy Orbison attended an Elvis Presley show in Dallas, TX.

1955 - Elvis Presley made his first appearance on the "Big D Jamboree" on KRLD in Dallas.

1968 - Major league baseball's longest night game ended when the Houston Astros defeated the New York Mets 1-0. The 24 innings took six hours, six minutes to play. The game had started on April 15.

1971 - Selena Quintanilla Perez, famous Tejana singer, was born in Lake Jackson, TX. She was killed by the founder of her first fan club on March 31, 1995 in Corpus Christi.

1972 - The Texas Rangers beat the Angles 7-6 for their first club victory.

2015 - In Garland, TX, Lady Antebellum's tour bus caught on fire. None of the four people aboard were injured.

April 17

1766 - Collin McKinney was born in Hunterdon County, NJ. He was a land surveyor, merchant and politician. He was one of the five people who drafted the Texas Declaration of Independence and the oldest person to sign it.

1871 - The Texas legislature approved a bill that provided for the organization of the Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College (now known as Texas A&M University).

1911 - The keel of the USS Texas was laid. It was the second battleship of the U.S. and would later serve in both WWI and WWII.

2013 - In West, TX, a fertilizer plant exploded killing 15 and injuring about 160. On May 11, 2016, the ATF announced that the fire that led to the explosion was was intentionally set.

April 18

1842 - Juan N. Seguín resigned as mayor of San Antonio and fled to Mexico. He was incriminated in General Rafael Vásquez's of San Antonio in March of 1842 from his business correspondence with Mexico. Seguín later participated in Adrián Woll's invasion of Texas in September 1842. He also fought against the U.S. in the Mexican War.

1897 - S.E. Hayden released a fictional "news" story that described an unidentified flying airship crash near the town of Aurora, TX.

1901 - The Baylor College of Medicine held its first commencement with a graduating class of 15 students.

1904 - Artist Harry Peyton Cornohan was born in Millford, TX.

1934 - The first Laundromat opened in Fort Worth, TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    April 18
    1897 - S.E. Hayden released a fictional "news" story that described an unidentified flying airship crash near the town of Aurora, TX.
    So it could be the modern 'birth' of fake news.

There actually was something funny happening around the Country then. Airship sightings... but this was 'traveling in the opposite direction' of Cuba, which the US may've been secretly sending, or test-flying to assist in the Hearst-backed Spanish-American War... But '97 was still a year too early.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    So it could be the modern 'birth' of fake news.

There actually was something funny happening around the Country then. Airship sightings... but this was 'traveling in the opposite direction' of Cuba, which the US may've been secretly sending, or test-flying to assist in the Hearst-backed Spanish-American War... But '97 was still a year too early.

“This site is also well known because of the legend that a spaceship crashed nearby and the pilot, killed in the crash, was buried here.”

OTOH - there was fake news aplenty in the 1700's and 1800's by every "news" source of the time. They published opinion pieces as truth on a regular basis.

It's also the anniversary of Paul Revere's ride, whom I'm glad wasn't spreading fake-news. -_O

April 19

1837 - The city of Houston became the capital of Texas. It stayed the capital until January of 1839 when Austin was approved as the new capital.

1875 - At Fort Sill, Kiowa chief White Horse (Tsen-tainte) and a group of followers surrendered.

1910 - The Texas Industrial Congress was organized at San Antonio.

1924 - The West Texas Historical Association was organized at the Taylor County Courthouse in Abilene.

1968 - In Chicago, the National League approved expansion to Montreal and San Diego. Dallas-Fort Worth failed in its bid for an NL franchise.

1983 - The Omni Theater opened in Fort Worth.

1993 - The Branch-Davidian’s compound in Waco, TX, burned to the ground. It was the end of a 51-day standoff between the cult and U.S. federal agents. 86 people were killed including 17 children. Nine of the Branch Davidians escaped the fire.

April 20

1836 - The Texian Army reaches the Lynchburg Ferry and set up camp.

1836 - The Mexican army arrives at San Jacinto and formed a skirmish line. They brought up a cannon to fire on the Texian camp.

1842 - The Adelsverein (the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas) was provisionally organized by German noblemen at Biebrich on the Rhine. The society is credited with bringing more than 7,000 Germans to Texas.

1875 - Margie Neal was born near Clayton, Texas. In 1926 she became the first woman in the Texas Senate and introduced a bill that established the State Board of Education.

1928 - Felix Huston Robertson died in Waco. He was the only Texas-born general officer to serve in the Confederacy. At the time of his death he was the last surviving general to serve the Confederacy.
    Last edited by Retread; 04-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.

April 21

1836 - Genaral Cos arrived at San Jancinto with 500 reinforcement troops for the Mexican army.

1836 - General Sam Houston defeated Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto (near present-day Houston). This 18-minute battle decided the independence of Texas. Over 700 Mexican soldiers were allowed to surrender to the Texian army. Santa Anna was captured the next day.

1873 - The Texas state legislature repealed the law authorizing the State Police. At least thirty-six State Police members became Texas Rangers.

1888 - The Texas State Capitol in Austin opened to the public. Construction was not complete at the time of the opening.

1906 - Frank Hamer enlisted in the Texas Rangers. He was successful in his assignment to track down the high-profile outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

1942 - The first group of internees arrived at the Kenedy Alien Detention Camp near Kenedy, Texas. The camp was converted into a prison of war camp on October 1, 1944.

1972 - The Texas Rangers beat the Angels, 7-6, before a crowd of 20,105 in first game for the franchise at Arlington Stadium.

1993 - The first episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" aired on CBS.

Texas Quote

There’s a vastness here and I believe that the people who are born here breathe that vastness into their soul. They dream big dreams and think big thoughts, because there is nothing to hem them in.
    - Conrad Hilton