Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    May 22

1900 - At Turner Hall, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra played its inaugural concert under the direction of Hans Kreissig.

1911 - The Carlos Villalongín Dramatic Company opened at the Teatro Aurora in San Antonio.

1953 - U.S. President Eisenhower signed the Tidelands Bill giving Texas the rights to its offshore oil

1971 - The Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum was dedicated on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin.

1987 - Saragosa, TX, was hit by a tornado. Thirty people were killed and 162 were injured.

1991 - England's Queen Elizabeth II visited Antioch Church in Houston.

2003 - At the Colonial in Fort Worth, TX, Annika Sorenstam became the first woman to play on the PGA tour in 58 years. She ended the day at 1-over par.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

May 23

1871 - The Texas legislature directed the governor to appoint a superintendent with a four-year term to administer the Texas Bureau of Immigration. The bureau had "the purpose of promoting and protecting immigration."

1934 - In Bienville Parish, LA, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were ambushed and killed by Texas Rangers. The bank robbers were riding in a stolen Ford Deluxe.

May 24

1869 - Twenty-four defendants went on trial in the Stockade Case resulting from events in Marion County on October 24, 1868. Only seven of the 24 were found guilty.

1933 - The Texas Geographic Society was organized in Dallas. In 1937, it began publication of the Texas Geographic Magazine.

2000 - A Democratic Party event for Al Gore in Washington brought in $26.5 million. The amount set a new record, which had just been set the previous month by Republicans for Texas Gov. George W. Bush.

2003 - At the Colonial in Fort Worth, TX, Annika Sorentam missed the cut by four shots. Two days early she had become the first woman in 58 years to play in the PGA.

May 25

1690 - The first of the East Texas missions, San Francisco de los Tejas, was founded.

1896 - The Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy met for the first time.

2006 - In Houston, former Enron Corp. chiefs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skillinng were convicted of conspiracy and fraud for the downfall of Enron.

2011 - In Dallas, the Dallas Mavericks defeated the Oklahoma Thunder 102-96 in Game 5 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. The win allowed the Mavericks to win the series 4-1 and to advance to the NBA Finals for only the second time in their history.

Texas Quote

I thought I knew Texas pretty well, but I had no notion of it’s size until I campaigned it.
    - Former Governor Ann Richards

May 26

1837 - The executor of William Barret Travis's estate placed a notice in the Telegraph and Texas Register for an escaped slave named Joe. Joe was one of the few survivors of the battle of the Alamo the year before. The notice ran for three months before it was discontinued.

1853 - John Wesley (Wes) Hardin was born in Bonham, TX. Hardin's violent career began in 1867 when he stabbed another child.

1977 - The United States and Mexico established the Rio Grande as the international border from El Paso to the Gulf of Mexico.

Texas Quote

In my style I borrowed a lot of things: Freddie King, B. B. King, Lightnin' Hopkins, T-Bone Walker. I may have my own approach, but it's a Texas guitar sound.
    - Jimmie Vaughn

May 27

1852 - In Houston, J.H.S. Stanley advertised that he had "succeeded in taking pictures on glass."

1870 - The Kansas Daily Commonwealth made the earliest known printed reference to the Chisholm Trail.

1957 - Buddy Holly’s band, the Crickets, released their first single, "That’ll Be the Day" on Brunswick Records.

1961 - John Tower was elected as the first Republican senator since 1870.

1965 - The Fifty-ninth Texas Legislature established the University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures. The original mission involved developing and implementing a plan for the state's participation in HemisFair '68.

1997 - Central Texas was hit by multiple tornadoes that resulted in the death of 29 people.

2009 - Cowboys Stadium opened in Arlington, TX.

May 28

1861 - In San Antonio, Mission Concepción reopened as a training center for postulants and novices of the Marianist order.

1923 - In Reagan County, the Santa Rita No. 1 well came in. It was located on land that belonged to the University of Texas.

1924 - The U.S. Congress established the United States Border Patrol as part of the Immigration Bureau.

1949 - In Waco, TX, ground was broken for Baylor Stadium.

1955 - Elvis Presley performed live in Fort Worth, TX. The show was played live on radio's "Big D Jamboree."

1971 - In Houston, the three-day Conferencia de Mujeres por la Raza (National Chicana Conference) started at the Magnolia Park YWCA. It was the first interstate assembly of Mexican-American feminists organized in the U.S.

May 29

1889 - In Fort Worth, the Texas Spring Palace opened. On May 30, 1890, the building was destroyed by fire.

1939 - The State Soil Conservation Board was organized to implement state conservation laws and organize and assist soil-conservation districts across Texas. The board was created in response to the Dust Bowl of the 1930s.