Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    February 15

1856 - A ship carrying 65 camels departed from Tunis, North Africa, for Indianola, TX. The military wanted to test the usefulness of camels in transporting supplies in West Texas.

1876 - The present day Texas state constitution was adopted.

1980 - The Wright Amendment of 1979 went into effect. The federal law air traffic at Dallas Love Field with some provisions that applied to other airports in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Texas Quote

The 'Texas Trail' was the highway over which a tide of cattle was moved from Southwestern and Western Texas to the northwestern states, including Indian Territory, Kansas, Western Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming Territory, North and South Dakota and Montana."

- U.S. Senator John B. Kendrick on December 10, 1916
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

February 16

1852 - The Texas State government passed a bill that authorized the governor to negotiate with the federal government to create territory for Indian reservations in Texas.

1999 - Testimony began in the Jasper, TX, trial of John William King. He was charged with murder in the gruesome dragging death of James Byrd Jr. King was later convicted and sentenced to death.

2004 - Baseball commissioner Bud Selig approved the swap of Alex Rodriguez (Texas Rangers) and Alfonso Soriano (New York Yankees). The Rangers would also get a minor league player in the deal.

Texas Quote

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word.
    - Author John Steinbeck

February 17

1867 - Jessie Andrews was born. She was the first woman to graduate from the University of Texas in 1886. She was also the school's first female teacher in 1888.

1929 - The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) was founded in Corpus Christi, TX.

Texas Quote

I love Texas because Texas is future-oriented, because Texans think anything is possible. Texans think big.
    - Senator Phil Gramm

February 18

1685 - Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle established Fort St. Louis at Matagorda Bay, and thus formed the basis for France's claim to Texas.

1973 - At Texas Stadium the Dallas Bluebonnets lost their opening game to the Toledo Troopers. The Bluebonnets were the first Texas team of the National Women’s Football League.

February 20

1871 - Texas Governor Edmund Davis imposed martial law in Walker County. The Walker County Rebellion followed the murder of a freedman and the attempted trial of four white suspects.

1874 - The Texas Senate confirmed the election of Walter Moses Burton. Burton had been brought to Texas as a slave from North Carolina in 1850 at the age of 21.

1910 - In Monterrey, Mexico, native Texan Harper Baylor Lee became the first American matador de toros (bullfighter) at a ceremony at the Plaza de Toros.

Texas Quote

The miracle of Texas lies in the fact that it is the work of a handful of men. In not a single fight during the entire period from 1800 to 1845 did they muster as many as one thousand fighting men. Overwhelming odds never discouraged them and defeat but spurred them to ultimate victory.
    - Jack C. Butterfield

February 21

1943 - The first trainees of WASPs (Women’s Airforce Service Personnel) arrived at Avenger Field in Sweetwater, TX.

Texas Quote

I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country here to settle.
    - Davy Crockett, 1836

1942 - a due to wander Okie was born

February 22

1819 - U.S. President John Quincy Adams and Mexican President Luis de Onis for Spain signed the Adams-Onis Treaty that renounced the United States claim to Texas and set boundries. Mexico declared independence from Spain before the treaty was ratified and then Spain refused to recognize the established boundry line.

1836 - Mexican soldier Nepomuceno Navarro left the Mexican army and joined Juan N. Seguin's company of Tejanos. The company served as rear guard for General Houston's army.

1866 - The Port Isabel Lighthouse resumed operation after being fitted for a replacement lens and light.

1935 - The Connally Hot Oil Act became law. The law was intended to protect foreign and interstate commerce against "contraband oil" and encourage the conservation of domestic crude-oil deposits. It also prohibited the shipment of hot oil.

February 23

1836 - In San Antonio, TX, the siege of the Alamo began.

1848 - The Texas legislature formally created Gillespie County out of Bexar and Travis counties.

1861 - Voters ratified an ordinance that would withdraw Texas from the Union. The ordinance had been approved by the Secession Convention on February 1. The secession became official on March 2. Texas was the 7th state to leave the Union.

1911 - Quanah Parker, the last fighting chief of the Comanche in Texas, died from an undiagnosed illness in Oklahoma.

1999 - White supremacist John William King was found guilty of kidnapping and murdering James Byrd Jr. Byrd was dragged behind a truck for two miles on a country road in Texas.

February 24

1885 - Admiral Chester Nimitz was born in Fredericksburg, TX. He was a leader for the Allied forces in the Pacific during World War II.

2015 - A Texas jury found Eddie Ray Routh guilty in the 2013 shooting deaths of former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield.

February 25

1749 - The San Ildefonso Mission was formally established by Spanish colonists. The location was on the south bank of the San Gabriel River near the present-day town of Rockdale.

1989 - Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys, fired head coach Tom Landry after a 29-year career. *

1999 - William King was sentenced to death for the racial murder of James Byrd Jr in Jasper, TX. Two other men charged were later convicted for their involvement. **

--------

*The second saddest day in Cowboy's history

**A travesty created by SJW's in Jasper. A fight among drug dealers signed off as a hate crime.