Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    June 22

1795 - Emily Austin Perry was born in Lexington, KY. She was an early settler of Texas and the sole heir to Stephen F. Austin.

1824 - The battle of Jones Creek was fought between colonists of the lower Brazon River and Karankawa Indians.

1875 - Gregorio Cortez was born. He was famous for evading Texas Rangers while wanted on murder charges. The incident inspired a ballad, and Cortez became a folk hero.

1921 - In Kerrville, the first patients were admitted to the American Legion Memorial Sanatorium. The sanatorium is now known as the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

June 23

1601 - Spanish explorer Juan de Oñate began an expedition in search of riches. The search took him across the Texas Panhandle. 20140623

1819 - A provisional Texas government declared independence from Spain.

1919 - The Texas House passed the Nineteenth Amendment granting women the right to vote. The Texas Senate passed the amendment on June 28.

1931 - Wiley Post and Harold Gatty took off in an attempt to fly around the world. The trip took 8 days, 15 hours and 51 minutes. Post was a Texas native born in Cornith, Van Zandt County.

1950 - The Texas Secretary of State granted Harmon Dobson the "Whataburger" trademark.

June 24

1699 - San Juan Bautista Mission was founded near Lampazos, Neuvo León, Mexico. A few months later the mission moved to a site near Guerrero, Coahuila. This mission served as a gateway for many expeditions into the interior of Texas.

1851 - Fort Belknap was established in what later became known as Young County, in north central Texas.

1900 - Singer/composer Gene Austin was born in Gainesville, TX. He went on to record "My Blue Heaven" in 1927 which sold over 12 million copies.

June 25

1864 - In southwest Cameron County, a battle took place between Confederate and Union forces at Las Rusias.

1909 - Marion O. Boner was born in Cleburne, TX. She went on to become a legal scholar and the first director of the Texas State Law Library.

1957 - In southwest Louisianna and Texas, Hurricane Audrey killed 390 people. Cameron, LA, was wiped out. (June 25-28)

June 26

1832 - The Battle of Valesco began. The resulting casualties were the first in Texas' relations with Mexico. The Mexicans surrendered several days later.

1922 - In Dallas, the radio station WFAA began transmitting.

1928 - The Democratic National Convention began in Houston. It was the first nominating convention to be held in a Southern city since 1860.

1942 - Majors Field opened near Greenville in Hunt County, TX. The field was used for U.S. Air Force flight training in World War II.

1976 - Shortstop Toby Harrah (Texas Rangers) played an entire doubleheader without handling a batted ball from the Chicago White Sox.

2014 - Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson and Phil Collins announced the donation of Collins' collection of Alamo and Texas Revolution-related artifacts to the Alamo.

June 27

1874 - In what is now Hutchinson County, a party of about 700 Plains Indians attacked a buffalo hunters' camp. The battle became known as the Second Battle of Adobe Walls. The siege lasted several days.

1918 - Hortense Ward became the first woman to register to vote in Harris County. She was also the first woman admitted to the Texas bar in 1910.

1957 - More than 500 people were killed when Hurricane Audrey hit the coastal area of Louisiana and Texas.

2016 - The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Texas law that regulated abortion clinics saying that the law caused undue burden on women wanting an abortion.

June 28

1919 - The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified by the Texas Senate. The amendment guaranteed women the right to vote. The Texas House passed it on June 23.

1962 - Texas humorist John Henry Falk was awarded a $3.5 million libel judgment against AWARE, Inc. for branding him a communist. The judgment was later reduced to $500,000 in an appeals court.

2016 - Near the town of Panhandle, TX, two BNSF trains collided. Three of the four employees on the trains were killed.

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    June 22

1795 - Emily Austin Perry was born in Lexington, KY. She was an early settler of Texas and the sole heir to Stephen F. Austin.

1824 - The battle of Jones Creek was fought between colonists of the lower Brazon River and Karankawa Indians.

1875 - Gregorio Cortez was born. He was famous for evading Texas Rangers while wanted on murder charges. The incident inspired a ballad, and Cortez became a folk hero.

1921 - In Kerrville, the first patients were admitted to the American Legion Memorial Sanatorium. The sanatorium is now known as the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
    I wonder if the Kerrville VA center was responsible for that Kerrville bus line, it was still operating in 67 and beyond. I had to take a bus from the main terminal in Dallas just a couple miles to Duncanville and my new base I was assigned to in December of 66. The bus stopped on the main street in front of the base entrance and let me off but they had no idea where my duffel bag was so I spent the entire holiday without any clothes except what I was wearing. The base is long gone now, returned to the local populace and commerce but a couple of buildings survived and are still on the property. The bus line is also history as far as I know.