Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Today in Texas History - 2017 
    January 1

1849 - Texas cattleman Samuel Burk Burnett was born in Bates County, Missouri.

1863 - Confederate troops reclaimed Galveston harbor at the Battle of Galveston.

1890 - Dallas annexed the neighboring town of East Dallas.

1937 - The First Cotton Bowl Classic football game was played in Dallas, TX. Texas Christian University (TCU) beat Marquette, 16-6.

2001 - The "Texas 7," rented space in an RV park in Woodland Park, CO.

2011 - The TCU Horned Frogs defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 21-19 in the Rose Bowl.

Texas Quote

Being from Texas, I would say I favor a pair of jeans you can wear some boots with.
    - Jensen Ackles
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

January 2

1883 - The residents of Abilene voted to incorporate. On October 23, 1883 the city became the county seat.

1888 - The Daily-Times Herald published its first issue after the merger of the two Dallas newspapers, the Daily Times and the Daily Herald.

2002 - Mike Madano (Dallas Stars) scored his 400th career NHL goal. Madano became only the fourth United States-born player to reach 400 goals.

2003 - It was announced that Bill Parcels would be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

January 3

1812 - Elisha Marshall Pease was born. He was appointed governor of Texas when General Philip H. Sheridan removed Governor James W. Throckmorton from office. Pease resigned two years later over differences with Sheridan over Reconstruction policies.

1823 - Mexican officials approved Stephen F. Austin's plan to bring three hundred families into his colony. This group becomes known as the "Old Three Hundred."

1834 - The Mexican government imprisoned Stephen F. Austin in Mexico City.

1962 - Ground was broken to begin the building of the Astrodome in Houston. It was the first fully air-conditioned, enclosed, domed, multipurpose sports stadium in the world.

1967 - Jack Ruby died in a Dallas, TX, hospital.

1983 - Tony Dorsett (Dallas Cowboys) made the longest run from scrimmage in NFL history. Dorsett ran 99 yards in a game against the Minnesota Vikings.

2001 - The ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) charged the "Texas 7" with weapons violations. An autopsy showed that Office Aubrey Hawkins, killed by the convicts, had been shot 11 times and run over with a vehicle.

January 4

1789 - Benjamin Lundy was born. He was an antislavery advocate who planned to create a colony of free blacks in Texas. His plans were interrupted by the Texas Revolution.

1847 - Captain Samuel Walker of the Texas Rangers placed an order for 1,000 revolvers from Samuel Colt. Walker had asked for changes that including that the guns have 6-shots instead of 5, have enough power to kill either a man or a horse with a single shot and be quicker to reload.

1976 - The Dallas Cowboys became the first wild-card team to make it to the Super Bowl. They beat the Los Angeles Ram 37-7 in the NFC title game.

2001 - FBI agents in the Dallas area charged the "Texas 7" of unlawful flight to avoid federal prosecution for capital murder, broadening the manhunt nationwide.

January 5

1818 - Scientist Ferdinand von Roemer was born in Hildesheim, Hanover. He was the author of the first monograph on Texas geology, "The Cretaceous Formations of Texas and Their Organic Inclusions", published in Bonn in 1852.

1829 - Thomas S. Gathright was born in Monroe County, Georgia. He was the first president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University).

1836 - David Crockett arrived in Texas.

1854 - The first telegraph company in Texas was chartered. The Texas and Red River Company opened its first office in Marshall on February 14.

1865 - About 100 Indians from Indian Territory raided a new settlement in Cooke County. They killed nine people and stole many horses. The raid is often referred to as the last Indian raid in Cooke County.

January 6

1808 - Albert Martin was born in Providence Rhode Island. Martin served Texas as one of the "Old Eighteen" defenders of the "Come take it cannon" in Gonzales.

1886 - Texas Congressman James Francis Miller introduced a National Trail proposal to the U.S. House of Representatives. The measure failed.

1918 - Revista Católica, a Catholic newspaper and publishing house, relocated to new quarters in El Paso.

1998 - Barry Switzer resigned as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

1998 - The Dallas Cowboys signed lineman Larry Allen to a 6-year deal worth more than $3.5 million a year.

2002 - Emmitt Smith (Dallas Cowboys) became the first running back in the NFL to run gain 1,000 yards in 11 consecutive seasons.

Texas Quote

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas.
    - Davy Crocket after losing the 1835 race for Tennessee's seat to the U.S. legislature.

January 7

1859 - Businessman James Moreau Brown purchased four lots at the corner of Broadway Boulevard and Twenty-fourth Street in Galveston. On the site he built Ashton Villa. I was reportedly the first brick house in Galveston. Ashton Villa was opened to the public in 1974 and is administered by the Galveston Historical Foundation.

1867 - The Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament opened Nazareth Academy in Victoria. When it opened the convent was known as Monastery of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament.

1870 - The Waco Suspension Bridge, a 475-foot structure that crosses the Brazos River in downtown Waco, was opened to traffic. It was closed to vehicle traffic in 1971. The bridge is in the National Register of Historic Places and received a state historic marker in 1976.

1892 - The Galveston, La Porte and Houston Railway was chartered to build the two-mile bridge across Galveston Bay.

January 8

1864 - Texas native David Owen Dodd was hanged at age seventeen. He was captured as he tried to cross Federal lines near Little Rock with notes in Morse code hidden in his shoe. After a military court found him guilty, he confessed that he had been sent to gather information about Union troops. Dodd may have been the youngest person hanged as a spy in the Civil War.

1865 - About 160 Confederates and 325 state militiamen lost a battle against the Kickapoo Indians about twenty miles southwest of present day San Angelo.

1884 - The Texas state legislature made fence cutting a felony punishable by one to five years in prison.

1910 - Jacob Brodbeck, considered by some the first man to fly in an airplane, passed away. He created an airship and attempted flight in Texas almost 40 years before the Wright brothers.

1919 - Ballerina Nana Gollner was born in El Paso. She began ballet training at age four as treatment for infantile paralysis.

--------

On a national note and particularly since we are for seeing a 20k Dow:

1987: For the first time, the Dow Jones industrial average closed above 2,000, ending the day at 2,002.25.

January 9

1836 - After losing his bid for a fourth term as a Tennessee representative to the U. S. Congress, Davy Crockett wrote a letter stating his intention to go to Texas. He was killed two months later at the battle of the Alamo.

1892 - Fourteen scientists organized the first Texas Academy of Science at the University of Texas. The goal was to investigate and report upon such scientific problems as might be submitted by the state.

1907 - Cordelia Sloan married Robert Duke, a foreman and later general manager of the XIT ranch. She became the first woman game warden in Texas in the 1920s.

Texas Quote

I am forced to conclude that God made Texas on his day off, for pure entertainment, just to prove that all that diversity could be crammed into one section of earth by a really top hand.
    - Mary Lasswell

January 10

1901 - Oil was discovered at the Spindletop oil field near Beaumont, TX.

1929 - María de Hernández helped found the Orden Caballeros de América, an organization to advance civic and political causes for Mexican-Americans and immigrants in San Antonio.

2003 - George Strait was inducted into the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame in Fort Worth, TX.

----------------------

Local boy does good - George Foreman turns 68 today.

Oil Field history
    1870 - John D Rockefeller incorporated Standard Oil