Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    July 24

1861 - At Fort Fillmore, AZ, Lt. Col. John Robert Baylor led 300 men of the Confederate Second Texas Mounted Rifles in an assault on Union forces under Maj. Isaac Lynde.

1880 - The town of Kyle was established. David E. Moore and Fergus Kyle deeded 200 acres for a townsite to the International-Great Northern Railroad.

1893 - Josephine Lucchese was born in San Antonio. She was known in Europe as the "American Nightingale."

1917 - Near Houston, construction of Camp Logan began. The site was eventually used to create Memorial Park.

2010 - The Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame officially opened in Fort Worth. It had been in Belton, TX, for 35 years.

Texas Quote

My favorite place in Texas is Lubbock. Mostly because Lubbock, like Popeye the Sailor, is what it is.
    - Molly Ivins
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Continuing to fill in the gaps:

August 28

1767 - Hugo Oconór became ad interim governor of Texas. Oconór took over after the removal of Texas governor Ángel de Martos y Navarrete.

1828 - In what is now Wilson County, María Calvillo formally petitioned the Mexican government for a new title to her father's Rancho de las Cabras ("the Goat Ranch").

1972 - Caroline Crowell passed away in Austin, TX. She first moved to the city in 1926, and became Austin’s first female physician.

1902 - Newt Gresham and nine other men founded the Farmers Educational and Cooperative Union of America. It later became known as the National Farmers Union.

2013 - Maj. Nidal Hasan was sentenced to death for killing 13 soldiers and wounding at least 28 on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, TX.

Texas Quote

There’s a vastness here and I believe that the people who are born here breathe that vastness into their soul. They dream big dreams and think big thoughts, because there is nothing to hem them in.
    - Conrad Hilton

With today's post, all dates have been covered except February 29 and December 25.

At my age, I may never get the 2/29 post made but will attempt to do 12/25/17 on time.

Now I'm debating starting an Okla thread... probably not.