Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    January 16

1850 - Senator Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri introduced a bill that would have divided Texas into two states, and ceded additional land to the U.S. for $15 million.

1983 - In Dallas, the Majestic Theatre reopened. It had been closed for 10 years.

1998 - It was announced that Texas would receive $15.3 billion in a tobacco industry settlement. The payouts were planned to take place over 25 years.

1934 - At the Eastham State Prison Farm at Waldo, TX, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow liberated five prisoners. Two guards were shot in the escape.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

January 17

1874 - Democrat Richard Coke was inaugurated as governor. The election is recognized as the end of reconstruction in Texas.

1900 - Yaqui Indians in Texas proclaimed their independence from Mexico.

1915 - The Houston Post reported that Independence Heights was the first incorporated black city in Texas. The area was annexed to Houston on December 26, 1929.

1983 - American Airlines finished moving into their new $150 million headquarters in Fort Worth.

2011 - In Dallas, at American Airlines Center, Jamie Langenbrunner played in his 1,000th NHL game.

Texas Quote

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. And there's an opening convey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner.
    - John Steinbeck

January 18

1836 - Jim Bowie arrived at the Alamo to assist its Texas defenders.

1976 - Arizona Fleming, black civil-rights activist, passed away. She helped end voter discrimination in Fort Bend County in a legal case before the Supreme Court.

1976 - The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys 21-17 in Super Bowl X. The CBS telecast was viewed by an estimated 80 million people.

2011 - The Texas Rangers signed Yu Darvish to a $60 million contract for six years.

Texas Quote

I’d rather be a fencepost in Texas, than the king of Tennessee.
    - Chris Wall, Singer-Songwriter-Austin

January 19

1836 - The Red Rovers from Alabama arrived in Texas to join the Texas Revolution.

1839 - A new form of money called "red backs" in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $100, and $500 was approved by Republic President Mirabeau B. Lamar.

1943 - Janis Joplin was born in Port Arthur, TX.

1952 - The National Football League (NFL) bought the franchise of the New York Yankees from Ted Collins. The franchise was then awarded to a group in Dallas on January 24.

1997 - Ivan Rodriguez signed a deal with the Texas Rangers worth $6.65 million for one year.

1999 - Rick Perry took office as Texas' first Republican lieutenant governor since Reconstruction.

2001 - Texas officials demoted a warden and suspended three other prison workers in the wake of the escape of the "Texas 7."

2013 - Jaramoir Jagr made his debut with the Dallas Stars in a game against the Phoenix Coyotes. He scored two goals and two assists in the game.

Texas Quote

Don't mess with Texas.
    - Texas Department of Transportation

January 20

1798 - Anson James was born Massachusetts. He was a doctor, businessman, congressman and the fourth and last President of the Republic of Texas.

1891 - James Hogg took office as the first native-born governor of Texas.

1968 - Houston ended UCLA's 47-game winning streak with a 71-69 victory at the Astrodome before 52,693 fans. The game also set a NCAA attendance record.

1989 - Alex Moore, a famous blues pianist from Dallas who combined blues, ragtime and boogie, passed away.

2002 - Joe Nieuwendyk (Dallas Stars) played in his 1,000th career NHL game.

Texas Quote

I thought I knew Texas pretty well, but I had no notion of it’s size until I campaigned it.
    - Former Governor Ann Richards

January 21

1863 - Rebels recaptured Sabine Pass, TX. Two Confederate ships (Bell and Uncle Ben) drove away two Union ships (Morning Light and Velocity). The event is known as the First Battle of Sabine Pass.

1893 - The border skirmishes of the Tin Horn War came to an end when Catarino Garza and his group of revolutionists were captured in Texas.

1973 - The AFC beat the NFC 35-31 in the NFL Pro Bowl in Dallas. The game had been played in Los Angeles since 1942.

1979 - The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys 35-31 in Super Bowl XIII. The Steelers became the first team to win three Super Bowls.

1983 - Houston became the first NBA team to not score a point in overtime. They lost to the Portland Trail Blazers after being outscored 17-0 in overtime.

1999 - The U.S. Coast Guard intercepted a ship headed for Houston, TX, that had over 9,500 pounds of cocaine aboard. It was one of the largest drug busts in U.S. history.

2012 - The 1964 Miller-Meteor Cadillac hearse that carried President Kennedy’s body from Parkland Memorial Hospital to Love Field for the flight to Washington, D.C. was sold at auction. Stephen Tebo paid $176,000 at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event in Scottsdale, AZ.

Texas Quote

I’ve traveled all over the world, but I don’t think there is any place better than Texas.
    - Red Adair

January 22

1837 - The steamboat Laura became the first stearmer to arrive in Houston.

1883 - The Fifty Cent Act was repealed due to fraudulent land speculation. The Act had allowed for Texas public lands to be sold for 50 cents an acre to fund the Permanent School Fund and to reduce public debt.

2001 - Acting on a tip, authorities captured four of the "Texas 7" in Woodland Park, CO, at a convenience store. A fifth convict killed himself inside a motor home.

Texas Quote

My favorite place in Texas is Lubbock. Mostly because Lubbock, like Popeye the Sailor, is what it is.
    - Molly Ivins

January 23

1983 - The Corpus Christi Caller Times celebrated its 100th birthday by giving the city a bayfront monument called "Wind in the Sails". It was sculpted by Kent Ullberg.

2001 - A van used by the remaining two fugitives of the "Texas 7" was recovered in Colorado Springs, CO. A few hours later police surrounded a hotel where the convicts were hiding. Patrick Murphy Jr. and Donald Newbury were taken into custody the next morning without incident.

2010 - Hicks Sports Group announced that it agreed to sell controlling interest in the Texas Ranges to a group headed by club president Nolan Ryan and Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg.

January 24

1845 - The Texas Senate ratified a peace treaty, which was brokered by Sam Houston, between Anglo settlers and 11 Native American tribes.

2001 - In Colorado Springs, CO, Patrick Murphy Jr. and Donald Newbury were taken into custody after a 5-minute phone interview was granted with a TV station. They were the remaining fugitives of the "Texas 7."

January 25

1834 - The first Baptist church meeting in Texas took place at Daniel Parker's home in present Anderson County.

1839 - The Republic of Texas Congress adopted the Texas coat of arms, a white star with five points on an azure ground encircled by olive and live oak branches. In 1845 the designation was altered from Republic of Texas to State of Texas.

1934 - The Daughters of the American Revolution donated The O. Henry Museum to the city of Austin. Originally it was the home of writer William Porter (O. Henry).

1946 - Northeast of Huntsville, a German prisoner of war camp was deactivated.

1954 - The Fort Worth Museum opened its facility on Montgomery Street.

2002 - Ken Hitchcock was fired as head coach of the Dallas Stars. He had a record of 277-160-60-6, five straight division titles and two Stanley Cup finals appearances. His post season record was 47-33.

2010 - In Arlington, TX, the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame had its grand opening.

Texas Quote

In Texas, we have the death penalty, and we use it. That’s right. If you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back.
    - Ron White, comedian