Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    March 18

1836 - The new government of Texas began a three-day stay at Jared E. Groce's plantation home in what is now Grimes County. President David G. Burnet and his cabinet were retreating from Washington-on-the-Brazos to Harrisburg. Groce's house was used as the capital of the Republic of Texas until March 21.

1937 - About 300 people, mostly children, were killed in a gas explosion at a school in New London, TX.

1981 - The U.S. disclosed that there were biological weapons tested in Texas in 1966.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

March 19

1687 - French explorer Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle was killed by several of his own men at an unknown East Texas location.

1826 - John Dunn Hunter, a Cherokee leader, arrived in Mexico City to renew talks with the Mexican government for lad for a settlement in Texas. He was promised land to be granted to individual Indian settlers but, was not granted a tribal grant with the right to self-govern. He wrote about his experiences with Cherokee in his book Memoirs of a Captivity among the Indians of North America.

1836 - Robert Hamilton was appointed, with George C. Childress, to go to Washington, DC, to seek recognition of independence of Texas and establish relations with the U.S.

1840 - Comanches and officials of the Texas government met to negotiate a peace treaty. The Texas representatives believed that Comanches had reneged on a promise to release all white prisoners and took a dozen Comanche chiefs prisoner. In the Council House Fight that followed 35 Comanches and 7 Texans were killed.

1879 - Jim Currie opened fire on the actors Maurice Barrymore and Ben Porter near Marshall, TX. The shots wounded Barrymore and killed Porter.

1982 - The 100th episode of "Dallas" aired on CBS.

2000 - Vector Data Systems conducted a simulation of the 1993 Branch Davidian siege in Waco, TX. The simulation showed that the government had not fired first.

Texas Quote

I think Texans have more fun than the rest of the world.
    - Tommy Tune

March 20

1721 - An expedition under the Marqués de Aguayo crossed the Rio Grande into Texas.

Texas Quote

What Texans can dream, Texans can do.
    - George W. Bush

-----------

Another slow day

March 21

1801 - Philip Nolan, mustanger and filibuster, died at the hands of Mexican troops while on an expedition into Texas to get horses.

1836 - President David G. Burnet and his cabinet left the plantation home of Jared E. Groce. They had used the home as the capital of the Republic of Texas for three days while retreating from Washington-on-the-Brazon to Harrisburg.

1989 - Randall Dale Adams was released from a Texas prison after his conviction was overturned. The documentary "The Thin Blue Line" had challenged evidence of Adams' conviction for killing a police officer.

2010 - Following the passage of the health care legislation by the United States Congress, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbot provided the following statement: "The federal health care legislation passed tonight violates the United States Constitution and unconstitutionally infringes upon Texans' individual liberties. To protect all Texans' constitutional rights, preserve the constitutional framework intended by our nation's founders, and defend our state from further infringement by the federal government, the State of Texas and other states will legally challenge the federal health care legislation."

March 22

1836 - The sixty-ton armed Texas schooner Liberty, commanded by William S. Brown, seized the U.S. brig Durango in Matagorda Bay.

March 23

1839 - The Texan steamship Zavala was commissioned in the second Navy of Texas.

1905 - Joan Crawford (Lucille Fay LeSueur) was born in San Antonio, TX.

1985 - Julian Lennon held his first concert in San Antonio, TX.

2005 - In Texas City, TX, 15 people were killed and more than 100 were injured in an explosion at a gas plant.

2009 - Marinette Marine was awarded the contract to build the USS Fort Worth.

2015 - Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz announced that he would run for president in 2016.

March 24

1825 - The Mexican legislature, meeting in Saltillo, passed the State Colonization Law of March 24, 1825. The legislation was designed to increase the populations of Coahuila and Texas.

1829 - Texas native Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín was born. He led the Mexican Army in a defeat over French invasion forces at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The battle is now celebrated as Cinco de Mayo in the U.S. and Mexico.

–•----------------

On a side note:

1958: Rock ’n’ roll singer Elvis Presley was inducted into the Army in Memphis, Tenn.

March 25

1843 - Seventeen Texans were executed at Salado, Tamaulipas, Mexico. They were chosen with a black bean lottery after being part of a mass escape attempt. The bodies were returned to Texas and buried on Monument Hill in La Grange, Fayette County.

1986 - The General Land Office received a new seal in commemoration of the Texas Sesquicentennial.