Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Whatever happened to Republican Operative Forum??? 
    Dear friends,
    You may recognize my name...I posted on RO for years. It seems, though, as soon as Mr.Trump won the election, the Republican Operative Forum was no longer accessible. The first thing I thought of was that "ANONYMOUS" had fulfilled their threat to declare war ("HAH!" ) on Mr.Trump. Perhaps the NSA saw where the real power is??? The Russian Hackers infiltrating the People?
    Just a general question and I can think of no other place to ask. Thanks!

Regards,
    Senator Filibuster Foghorn

I was strongly inclined to present this thread title as "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE,?" but I was afraid our younger readership would not get the joke, son.

Thank you! I've been wondering the same thing for quite a while, but just never got around to asking.

Hope somebody can explain!!??

BUMP

Go ask your mom.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I believe this was explained before by
    SVPete.

The site was taken down by a hacker because
    the site owner wasn't keeping up on
    on security patches.

I don't know if it's coming back up.
    May the FORCE be with you!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    You can post here but if you are a crow watch out for Lanie she eats them!
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

Judging by her posts, if Lanie's eating any crow, her crow stew (crow curry?) must be pretty amazing!

On RO I posted under the name "PeteS in CA" and was a Mod. That's been my forum name on lots of discussion sites over the past nearly 20 years. RO got hacked the Sunday before Election Day. The owner, "WhoIsJohnGalt" got notification of it by some sort of guardian SW he had incorporated in the site. To prevent damage and protect members, within a half hour or so he brought the site down. As best he knows, the hackers did not get what they sought. Because of how sophisticated and determined the attack was and because WIJG doesn't think he can devote the time necessary to clean the site and defend it, he didn't bring it back up. That's the gist of an email I received from WIJG back on 12/5; it took us Mods a month just to find a valid, non-RO, email addy for WIJG (it wasn't for lack of having asked him in the past to provide us with one!).

WIJG has always been pretty much an absentee owner-investor (he was involved more in 2011 and 2012, soon after he bought the site). It is no exaggeration to say that he didn't log onto RO more than 5 times during 2016 or 2015. It wasn't laziness or intentional neglect, that's just the way his career and family are, and trying to be an owner-[i]administrator]/i] was more than he really should have tried to do. As SR mentioned, as best I could tell from some notification from vBulletin I saw on Admin pages on RO, RO was running a down-rev version of vBulletin, possibly lacking a year or two worth of security-related updates.

For 5 or 6 weeks I tried going to RO at least once a day, to see if it had been brought back up. I've given up on that, and probably have not tried more than once or twice in the past 3 or 4 weeks. For all practical purposes, I think RO is dead. It's frustrating to me - RO was a good community - but I've seen a site shut down because the owner was an alkie and another once very active site running RYO SW get hacked to Valhalla and eventually become a ghost town. So change of this magnitude is common in the world of I'net discussion sites.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

It was a good site, Great discussions with a Civil crowd I miss them all. This site seems to be good also and better than others at least so far.

What seems to destroy these sites is far left hiding behind a conservative cloak, their purpose is to destroy the site.

Wish i had known, I own a 4.x version of vBullentin I would have donated to the cause...
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

I suspect RO may have been bought at some point between the November hack and now by someone who wanted it shut down, not revived; if that occurred then it is gone for good.

I suppose other plausible explanations could exist but given the extended down time and what I know of the efforts that some of the Mods have made to try and help get things figured out (all have fallen on deaf ears), I think the former explanation is the most likely.
    I haven't seen the Democrats this mad since we freed the slaves!.......Rob Schneider

Quote Originally Posted by RET423 View Post
    I suspect RO may have been bought at some point between the November hack and now by someone who wanted it shut down, not revived; if that occurred then it is gone for good.

I suppose other plausible explanations could exist but given the extended down time and what I know of the efforts that some of the Mods have made to try and help get things figured out (all have fallen on deaf ears), I think the former explanation is the most likely.

I wouldn't say it was bought by a new person, I would however say it is interesting timing that DemocraticUnderground's servers went down and crashed at the exact same time as "R"O crashed and went down.

Considering Galt had a few leftist Mods on his payroll and gave free reign to prog agitators like Jazzhead it definitely isn't a stretch to say "R"O was affiliated if it owned by the same group that owns D.U. and Discussionist.