Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    102
    So that is why it vanished. I was trying to load the forum just minutes ago. It is still gone after 3 months then.

    Why didn't they just download a saved copy to resurrect it,surely the Server would have a BACK UP to use.It appears the owner was NOT trying hard to restore it?

    I was OFFERED to take ownership of the forum,before John Gault got it, but declined as I didn't want to pay for a buggy software.I would have transferred it over to MyBB or Woltlab,if I took the plunge. I would have done a few things to make it really hard for a hacker to invade as there are ways to do this in the base code area.

    What a bummer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    102
    Liberty Dwells forum died for the same reason,a flawed software, that was not properly protected at the code base. It was hacked and destroyed, Just like Republican Operative forum,it failed to use the BACK UP to restore it,making me wonder.... Most GOOD servers keep a back up available.

    It went down about 2 1/2 years ago.

    Free Conservatives died as well due to owner deleting most of it to start over,I was asked to join as Administrator,but RHINO,the owner never got it back up,died quietly.

    ALL three forums used the same forum software,vBulletin.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I wouldn't say it was bought by a new person, I would however say it is interesting timing that DemocraticUnderground's servers went down and crashed at the exact same time as "R"O crashed and went down.

    Considering Galt had a few leftist Mods on his payroll and gave free reign to prog agitators like Jazzhead it definitely isn't a stretch to say "R"O was affiliated if it owned by the same group that owns D.U. and Discussionist.

    I don't think they were "leftist" mods since I was there for several years seeing them be quite good at the job. I have been a mod in a few places including on one of the largest science blog in the world. They are often very selectively picked by the owner for a good reason.They are the guys who help keep the forum running well.

    I now regret not accepting ownership when offered back in 2011,before John Gault was around. The original owner offered it to me in a Private Message.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    FL & MO
    Posts
    51,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    I now regret not accepting ownership when offered back in 2011,before John Gault was around. The original owner offered it to me in a Private Message.

    That is a shame.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    That is a shame.
    It is since I liked the forum,but thought it needed some more liberals to enliven things up,even an occasional useful troll.

    There was a HUGE thread I started there a couple months after I joined, talking about how shabbily I was stopped posting at RightNation without any prior notice.I had to go through an email to find out why I couldn't log in anymore. The incompetent owner who greatly damaged the forum,simply shut my account down. One of the Mods asked her why it happened,she says she didn't like me,that was basically it, without any forum violations mentioned. My warning level at the time was ZERO.

    The thread was a big draw because a lot of RO members used to be a member of RN,commented on their experience with that moron Lisa,who banned gobs of people over little things. I was able to show that she was reading private message without permission and without notice. She banned people for the terrible crime of talking about a certain forum in PRIVATE MESSAGES!

    She even banned several smart people because they talked like Libertarians too much for her liking. They were at the time a major reason why the forum was humming with a lot of good arguments,it went down fast after she banned them. The forum has never recovered that lively level of debate ever since. That is how bad she was as an owner.

    When I joined RN in 2003,it was because it had a good owner in Mark,full of life with many liberals in it. Lisa takes over ownership,it begins to die over time with some mods not posting anymore or be kicked off the mod list. When she gave me a 90% warning suddenly one day,for arguing with her in E-Mails. I was civil the whole time,she was upset that I wouldn't donate any more money (which I had done THREE times) to the forum,which at the time was one of the biggest donor of the place. After just 30 days,the 90% warning suddenly vanished without comment.

    Never have a problem like this anywhere else,never been given a warning anywhere else either. RN is now a slow running forum today.badly damaged by a moron owner.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    25,646
    There are other forums out there other then this one?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    So that is why it vanished. I was trying to load the forum just minutes ago. It is still gone after 3 months then.

    Why didn't they just download a saved copy to resurrect it,surely the Server would have a BACK UP to use.It appears the owner was NOT trying hard to restore it?

    I was OFFERED to take ownership of the forum,before John Gault got it, but declined as I didn't want to pay for a buggy software.I would have transferred it over to MyBB or Woltlab,if I took the plunge. I would have done a few things to make it really hard for a hacker to invade as there are ways to do this in the base code area.

    What a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    Liberty Dwells forum died for the same reason,a flawed software, that was not properly protected at the code base. It was hacked and destroyed, Just like Republican Operative forum,it failed to use the BACK UP to restore it,making me wonder.... Most GOOD servers keep a back up available.

    It went down about 2 1/2 years ago.

    Free Conservatives died as well due to owner deleting most of it to start over,I was asked to join as Administrator,but RHINO,the owner never got it back up,died quietly.

    ALL three forums used the same forum software,vBulletin.

    RO wasn't destroyed per se. From what JohnGalt told me in an email, when he got notification from his alarm SW, he was able to shut it down. The hacker(s) were after members' personal email addies and such, but didn't get it. JG could have re-opened RO after he cleaned stuff up but chose not to because his personal availability was so limited that he didn't think he could adequately "defend" RO from hackers. JG was the only Admin (i.e. authority and SW chops).

    The quality and vulnerability of vBulletin is way out of my wheelhouse. I do know, from having seen notifications of updates available and not installed, that RO's forum SW was not up to date. Even my analog brain can figure out that security updates not being installed equals vulnerabilities. Weird stuff had been happening for a year and a half or two - "members" showing up on the members list who had not been vetted and approved by FC. None of them ever posted, but in the course of several purges I banned hundreds of them. We had let JG know, but he was logging on 1-3 times a year the last couple of years. Absentee owner might have worked OK 10 years ago, if updates were done as released, but it's irresponsible nowadays.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    203
    GLAD its back, now if we can get most of the old folks back then it will rise to its former self....
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

    Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    ... I have been a mod in a few places including on one of the largest science blog in the world. They are often very selectively picked by the owner for a good reason.They are the guys who help keep the forum running well.

    I now regret not accepting ownership when offered back in 2011,before John Gault was around. The original owner offered it to me in a Private Message.

    At the time TO sold RO, as best I can tell, "Rightwing Nutjob" was either the only active Mod, or the other Mods resigned. RwNj was a Mod when I reg'ed in 2010. Maylar and I were brought on after JG took over. I think we were chosen because we were regulars who had not caused headaches and agreed to be Mods. I think Maylar had to drop out due to availability issues. Fantasy Chaser and Jstang/Devilneck were brought on later. For its size, RO's Mod coverage was pretty thin.

    Speaking personally, the past 4 months have been the first time I've not been a Mod on a news/politics forum since summer 2005. A couple of people came to RO after another discussion site shut down on my invite. One of the, "Pappa Dave" I'd known online since late 1998 or early 1999.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Cowboy View Post
    GLAD its back, now if we can get most of the old folks back then it will rise to its former self....
    Holy cow! I checked yesterday and RO was not up. If your RO PW is the same as what you use on other forums, I suggest changing it to something different, just in case the hacker(s) got it.

    ETA: I changed my PW on RO, and I changed it to something different here and on the Cave.
    Last edited by SVPete; 03-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •