Thread: My Sister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My Sister 
    My sister in Tucson has cancer and has had it for years. She finally got into a special experimental program at Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

Yesterday she said that if she wasn't in that program she'd strongly consider entering a hospoice. Poor care in a hospice is what killed our mother.

Thanks for letting me vent......

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well here is hoping they are able to cure her.
    May the FORCE be with you!

oc1, without commenting on the care your mother received, are you aware that one cannot enter hospice care unless one has a doctor's diagnosis of 6 months left to live?

In real life, some patients entering hospice care die within a day or two, some stabilize and live for another year or two or ?? (but still have a 6-months diagnosis), and some live long enough and improve to the point they no longer qualify for hospice care. I know this because Mrs. SVPete works at a local hospice (home care and SNF care, not resident care). She works in administration rather than with patients.

Like any medical care organization/facility, hospices vary in services offered and quality of care.

Like SR, I pray your sister does well.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

At age 75 (next month) and having extended family and friends around the world, I'm seeing way more of this type of thing than I ever thought about before.

I will add your sister to my prayer list.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

My prayers to your sister.

Thanks, everyone.

Her entry into the testing procedure has been canceled and put off until May. Our nephew is going out there to finalize her will and to take care of other things.

Looks like I'll be going out to Tucson later this Spring. Wouldn't be fun driving through all the storms on the way, either.

SVPete
    oc1, without commenting on the care your mother received, are you aware that one cannot enter hospice care unless one has a doctor's diagnosis of 6 months left to live? YES. She is on a personal relationship with several of her doctors.

In real life, some patients entering hospice care die within a day or two, some stabilize and live for another year or two or ?? (but still have a 6-months diagnosis), and some live long enough and improve to the point they no longer qualify for hospice care. I know this because Mrs. SVPete works at a local hospice (home care and SNF care, not resident care). She works in administration rather than with patients. Our mom lasted one day in hospice. She had gone into the hospital with foot pain, and she left deceased.

Like any medical care organization/facility, hospices vary in services offered and quality of care.

Like SR, I pray your sister does well.

Just came across this today ...

My heart goes out to you Coastie, life really is so hard to take at times.

Prayers sent for your sister and you, and for the rest of the family, to help deal with whatever will be.

~ ABC *hugs*

American By Choice ~ 1980

Thanks, everyone. She's almost lost wanting to live; she's been suffering with this for at least 10 years. Lost 50#, which is not good...
    Last edited by oldcoastie1; 01-28-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Sorry coastie ! Lousy thing to loose a sister !

Quote Originally Posted by oldcoastie1 View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

Her entry into the testing procedure has been canceled and put off until May. Our nephew is going out there to finalize her will and to take care of other things.

Looks like I'll be going out to Tucson later this Spring. Wouldn't be fun driving through all the storms on the way, either.
    You and your family are in my prayers.

Did they give a reason why they put it off til May? That's a long time to wait. Amazing that she's survived 10 years.

You are wise to wait til spring. I've driven to Utah from St Louis several times in late May and early June and got caught in snowstorms going over the Continental Divide. If you drive there, be sure to take the Southern route through Arkansas, Oklahoma and points west.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"