Thread: Constitutional Convention

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quirites View Post
    this isn't a worthless debate.
    Sure it is.

Why don't you explain how you're going to prevent this constitutional convention from making the Constitution more craptacular than it already is?

A minority that wouldn't be able to control a convention.
    Doesn't count because, frankly, it's wrong. We just had an election and, in case you missed it, more than 125 million people voted for more government.

So tell us, how are you going to improve the Constitution with this convention? How are you going to improve the document itself? How are you going to beat off the hordes of state worshippers who want to increase their God's power?

Better yet, tell us how you're going to get the government to obey any changes you make when they ignore the current version whenever it suits them.
    Last edited by FeebMaster; 11-18-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typos :(

How about compulsory voting?

I had a dang CENSUS TAKER hunt me down - caught me at a neighbor's house - and pester me until I filled out the form.

Do they put that kind of effort into getting people to vote? HELL NO
    TERRIBLE idea. I'd prefer restrictions on voting.
    They're going to keep this crap up until presidents are being elected by 2% of eligible voters!!

The possibilities are endless.
    GOOD! Better the few knowledgeable people vote than the masses of ignorant people vote. Do you think we got Obama because the people who voted for him were informed???
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

How about compulsory voting?
    See? Even you want to increase the government's power.

They're going to keep this crap up until presidents are being elected by 2% of eligible voters!!
    We can only hope!

Yeah Feeb - let's have rule by the Proletariat - the glorious stateless state led by the people.

yawn

heck EVEN I could get elected with a 2% turnout - you don't want my mean ass in the Oval Office because my First Lady would whup your behind too

Reality bites don't it?

If they are a majority - capable of hijacking a convention - who's in the wrong, us or them?

Going to start agitating for minority rule?

That noisy little army that just drove us off the field is smaller than it sounded.

Reality bites don't it?

If they are a majority - capable of hijacking a convention - who's in the wrong, us or them?

Going to start agitating for minority rule?

That noisy little army that just drove us off the field is smaller than it sounded.
    doesn't matter. If the issue is opened - we will end up with a document like that of the EU. Have you ever read the EU constitution?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

why in the HELL would I read the crappy EU constitution?
    why would you?
    what do I care what the dang crapped out UROS do?

in a Socratic dialogue the moderator doesn't direct or respond except to keep order and you two are pissin in the punch bowl - you suspend your beliefs for the duration at look at a question from all angles, you don't square off in two groups and fling googoo at each other
    debates don't accomplish a thing - Socratic dialogue defines a course acceptable to all

you got the box - tell us WHY you know what you know

Yeah Feeb - let's have rule by the Proletariat - the glorious stateless state led by the people.

yawn
    You can suggest it at the convention!

heck EVEN I could get elected with a 2% turnout - you don't want my mean ass in the Oval Office because my First Lady would whup your behind too
    Meh. You. Obama. It doesn't really matter to me who ends up in charge. It's not going to change my views on the government or the way I interact with it.

Really, though. How are you going to improve the Constitution for the better at this convention? How are you going to get the government to obey it once you're done?

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    You can suggest it at the convention!

Meh. You. Obama. It doesn't really matter to me who ends up in charge. It's not going to change my views on the government or the way I interact with it.

Really, though. How are you going to improve the Constitution for the better at this convention? How are you going to get the government to obey it once you're done?
    Yeah Feeb - how am I gonna do it?

I get the feeling you don't have much experience with the Socratic dialogue

it's an INDUCTIVE process

are you just a browned off don't give a damn no more?

why in the HELL would I read the crappy EU constitution?
    why would you?
    what do I care what the dang crapped out UROS do?

in a Socratic dialogue the moderator doesn't direct or respond except to keep order and you two are pissin in the punch bowl - you suspend your beliefs for the duration at look at a question from all angles, you don't square off in two groups and fling googoo at each other
    debates don't accomplish a thing - Socratic dialogue defines a course acceptable to all

you got the box - tell us WHY you know what you know
    rofl. ok I'll play.

PoliCon, at the convention we shall amend the Holiest of Constitutions to return election of the Senate to the states. We shall include an explicit right for any state to secede from the union. Also, future amendments will require the unanimous consent of any remaining states.

Then I shall flourish my magic wand and the government will do as we say.

Wait, that's boring. I changed my mind and want to argue the big government side.

Policon! At the convention. We must repeal the current Bill of Rights and replace it with a more progressive one. Such as:

1. Freedom from fear
    2. Freedom from want
    3. From each according to his ability to each according to his need.
    4. Dismantle the electoral college and have the president selected by popular vote.
    5. Require only a simple majority for constitutional amendment. No consent of the states required (what are they going to do about it anyway?)