1. #1 Catholic and feminist: You got a problem with that? 
    Catholics ought to be loud and proud in the fight for women’s rights, argues a young feminist.I still remember the first time I heard a friend utter the words I considered near blasphemy: “I’m not a feminist.” I was shocked. We were bright junior high girls in the age of the Spice Girls’ “girl power,” and I, for one, had been raised a feminist by a 1960s feminist mother.

I wasn’t burning my training bras or hating men (they weren’t yet on my radar screen, anyway), but my feminism was ardently liberal and a huge reason I struggled with my faith.

Over the past few years, I have become more immersed in the Catholic world, and I’ve learned that I’m not the only one who struggles with faith and feminism. There are, of course, many who reject Catholicism outright because of the lack of women in top leadership, and a few who courageously fight to change the 2,000-year-old patriarchal institution.
    http://www.uscatholic.org/church/200...a-problem-with

I never understand why liberal Catholics think they should be able to change the church's ways. They should either leave the church and find a church that gives the laity more power in doctrine and practices or accept that the Catholic Church is not a democratic organization. If you are over 18, no one is forcing you to be a Catholic.

Changing the church would be a positive affirmation of their collective point of view. Otherwise they must either extradite themselves from their faith or always entertain the idea that they may be wrong with all it's negative implications for God's promises.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I never understand why liberal Catholics think they should be able to change the church's ways. They should either leave the church and find a church that gives the laity more power in doctrine and practices or accept that the Catholic Church is not a democratic organization. If you are over 18, no one is forcing you to be a Catholic.
    Good point.

God loves you no matter how you vote anyways.

Well, women are nuns, teachers, social workers, psychologists, and other important people in the Catholic church. Little girls are now alter girls. The only thing being denied to the women is the priesthood. I personally think God made rules a certain way for a reason, but some argue he didn't make those rules at all. I will respect whatever choice the church makes about that.

I think the reason I stopped calling myself a feminist is because the mainstream movement has pushed this idea that you need to be pro-choice. Not all Catholics or pro-lifers are listening to that.

http://catholicherald.com/News/Natio...Women_s_March/

"Overall, it was an amazing experience," said Destiny Herndon-De La Rosa, of New Wave Feminists, one of the groups removed as a march sponsor.

"We were prepared for confrontation and instead were supported by so many women," said Herndon-De La Rosa told Catholic News Service.

The group posted photos on their Facebook and Instagram accounts of their participation, holding signs that read, "I'm a pro-life feminist."

"They kept coming up and telling us how glad they were that we were there and how, even though they didn't necessarily agree on the abortion issue, they thought it wrong that we were removed as partners," said Herndon-De La Rosa. "It was very cool."
    This is why you don't listen to just mainstream, liberal, or conservative media. There's always something being missed.

As the OP article pointed out, going after issues such as poverty, violence, and helping migrants is a women's issue. That doesn't mean that men aren't getting hurt or helped. It does mean when you try to help with these causes, you are trying to help women.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/world...emale-refugees

The German bishops' conference and Catholic women's organizations in Germany recalled the often dire fate of women refugees on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (Nov. 25).
    The German Catholic Women's Association (KDFB) demanded harsher penalties for perpetrators of violence. "Violence against women is a violation of human dignity. It is discriminating and prevents equality," recalled Maria Flachsbart, the German Catholic Women's Association's president. Men who treated women as objects and thereby denied them equality and dignity should be more severely punished, the association emphasized.
    That sounds feminist to me. It probably sounds unfair because they're pretty much talking about hate crime legislation, but if you read the article at what's done to these women, you'd understand. Some people are just beyond cruel, and yet people are still worried about women in the priesthood?
    Last edited by Lanie; 02-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.