1. #1 Assad is confronted with photos of his torture victims 
    DAMASCUS – In an extraordinary exchange with Yahoo News, Syrian president Bashar Assad was confronted with photographs documenting the torture of political prisoners by his government. The Syrian president dismissed them as “allegations” and “fake news.”

The photos, smuggled out of Syria by a former regime photographer, were part of a 3,600-page dossier compiled by human-rights lawyers and cited in a lawsuit last week filed in a Spanish court by a Syrian immigrant whose brother was arrested and “disappeared” in prison. The woman claims she recognized her brother among the brutally beaten prisoners in the photos.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...194254418.html

And your point is? Assad is a BG. I think we all knew that. It's a big club. Assad, Putin. ISIS, the Iranians, the "relatively moderate" rebels are all bad guys. Some are worse than others. My opinion is that we should tailor our middle east policy to destroy ISIS and marginalize Iran. If this means some form of limited cooperation with Putin and Assad, so be it. Secular non-expansionist dictators are preferable to religious ones.

Assad is typical for the region. The people we support aren't any better, we just don't publicize their excesses. As far as all the denouncements of him as a 'War criminal,' to me McCain, Graham, Clinton, and Obama are just as guilty for the excesses in Syria because they intentionally destabilized the place resulting (Quite predictably) in a civil war, and Assad is fighting the war with the means he has available to him...he does not have a megabillion-dollar satellite surveillance system, billions of dollars in Predator drones armed with Hellfires, or the most-sophistcated electronic intelligence network in the world to develop targets. How our leaders can call Assad a war criminal for bombing allegedly-civilian areas in an enemy city on one hand (In a war we fomented), yet praise the heroism of Bomber Command and the Eighth and Twentieth Air Forces on the other, is a thing that completely eludes me.