Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Eco terrorists Sea Shepherd start whining 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-23109,00.html

By Xavier La Canna in Auckland

AAP

November 19, 2008 04:06pm

A HARDLINE anti-whaling group has accused the Australian Government of bullying them, putting crew members' lives at risk. Head of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Paul Watson said that in recent weeks The Australian Government had ramped-up pressure on his group.
    Gee, why would that be....

Mr Watson said he was extensively questioned by officials when he arrived at Sydney Airport last week ."They held me for an hour and a half and asked me where I was going, what my business was, who I was going to meet with, what my appointments were, who I was going to talk to," Mr Watson said.
    Our country.Our laws. You want to come in, you will answer any and all questions, you will answer them truthfully or we will throw your ass OUT. Our country, our laws, our rules. We dont like or tolerate eco terrorists....and the Sea Shepherd has made a lot of enemies here.

"The Australian Government is taking a real passive-aggressive position with us," he said. Sea Shepherd activists annually confront Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean, throwing stink bombs at the Japanese fleet and using nets to foul propellers.
    We have no issue with peaceful protest. You lot, however, get The Treatment

Last year Mr Watson claimed he was shot by Japanese Coast Guard officers and a bullet lodged in his Kevlar vest, a claim rejected by Japanese authorities.

Note to whoever did that...get a better scope.
    Aim higher next time.

Mr Watson said this year he wanted bullet-proof vests for all his crew, but customs officials and the Queensland Police stopped him from bringing the goods into Australia.
    Because importation of bullet proof vests is illegal under some circumstances, and as far as Customs is concerned, again, we decide what is allowed, and what is not.

Its called national sovereignty.

(Note to all, importation of certain goods is controlled, as it is with any nation. We just like giving these assholes a hard time. We Aussies trust this meets with your approval:D)

"They are actually putting my crew's lives in jeopardy by making that refusal," Mr Watson said.
    Then leave the whalers alone when they are in international waters.

"I don't see why the Australian Government would be against us protecting our crew from gunshots from the Japanese," he said.
    We are not responsible for your ass in committing acts of piracy.

You want to do this? You wear the consequences.

You are not an Australian citizen, hence we have no duty of care to you whatsoever.

He said it was suggested Customs officers could take the vests to his vessel when he left Australia but this was rejected.
    What part of NO dont you get?

But a spokeswoman for Australian Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus said seven of the vests were seized from Sea Shepherd earlier this year, and they would be handed back when the ship left.
    Take your shit and GTFO

"It is wrong for Mr Watson to claim he is being prevented from using them," she said."Mr Watson wasn't interviewed by Customs last week but would have been processed through normal immigration channels," she added.

Exactly.

In reply Mr Watson said that Customs had only one bullet-proof vest, not seven, as the other items taken by Customs were less-protective flak jackets and body armour.He said while those goods would be returned to his ship, he had been denied the ability to take through Australia new vests donated by police in America.
    Whoa. Hold it. American POLICE are supporting these whackjobs and issuing them vests and other gear???? WTF??? :eek:

Mr Watson also said the Australian Federal Police had recently begun investigating Sea Shepherd's activities in Perth. "They (Sea Shepherd staff) say they are under surveillance, they are being questioned. They (police) are showing up at things," he said.
    That's their job, jackass.

Meanwhile Mr Watson said he was hopeful of stopping the Japanese fleet killing even a single whale this season, although he would not reveal what tactics he was planning."I think there is a good possibility but I can't predict what is going to happen," he said.
    Mr Watson, lemme remind you of something. Assault of a foreign flag ship in international waters is a felony. Boarding a ship with hostile intent is piracy

You do know what the penalty is for piracy?

Sea Shepherd will leave for Antarctic waters on November 30 and should arrive mid-December.
    Go away and stay away.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 11-19-2008 at 06:01 AM.

They have a show called Whale Wars here in the states that features this group. I watched it for the first time last week and the guy that captains the ship is nuts. He is credited with founding Greenpeace but was tossed out for his aggressive tactics. He had a couple of his people illegally board a Japanese vessel and when they Japanese refused to let them go, he accused them of kidnapping. This guy is a complete fanatic.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Between pirates and wackjob environmentalists, commercial shipping and whalers should really start considering arming their ships.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    They have a show called Whale Wars here in the states that features this group. I watched it for the first time last week and the guy that captains the ship is nuts. He is credited with founding Greenpeace but was tossed out for his aggressive tactics. He had a couple of his people illegally board a Japanese vessel and when they Japanese refused to let them go, he accused them of kidnapping. This guy is a complete fanatic.

I saw the ads for this and just about blew my stack. We have a television network PROMOTING a terrorist organization and giving them a sympathetic showing.:mad:

I should not be surprised.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Well, I guess I'm not going to be popular today.

FUCK THE WHALERS.

What the hell is wrong with you people? I am no greenie or tree hugger. I like driving my car and flying around the world. I like electricity. And I deal with the facts that some species go extinct due to land usage and their failure to be able to live in a varied environment.

But there is NO REASON to kill whales. There is nothing we get from them that can not be obtained synthetically. And we ARE pressuring the populations of some species. And they are an important part of the ecosystem of the oceans.

I would add to this any boat seen finning sharks should be sunk with no warning. Fucking animals.

Sorry, The JAP whalers suck. And if you can't see the difference between what these people are doing and pirates I feel sorry for your cognitive abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post

FUCK THE WHALERS.

What the hell is wrong with you people? I am no greenie or tree hugger. I like driving my car and flying around the world. I like electricity. And I deal with the facts that some species go extinct due to land usage and their failure to be able to live in a varied environment.

But there is NO REASON to kill whales. There is nothing we get from them that can not be obtained synthetically. And we ARE pressuring the populations of some species. And they are an important part of the ecosystem of the oceans.

I would add to this any boat seen finning sharks should be sunk with no warning. Fucking animals.

Sorry, The JAP whalers suck. And if you can't see the difference between what these people are doing and pirates I feel sorry for your cognitive abilities.
    Hey, I'm all for saving the whales, but I don't think that eco-terrorism is the way. The governments of the world united and enacted the ban on whaling. Now if they were serious about this they should be the ones policing the seas and penalizing the Japanese for their snubbing their noses at the law.

As for for the Sea Shepherds, they are simply terrorists. Just because they are terrorist who support a cause you believe in doesn't make them any better than the islamic extremists who fly planes in to buildings or suicide bomb busy cafes. You can't pick and choose the type of terrorism you'll tolerate or endorse.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 11-19-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I saw the ads for this and just about blew my stack. We have a television network PROMOTING a terrorist organization and giving them a sympathetic showing.:mad:

I should not be surprised.
    I propose that we tell these clods that the Japanese are going whaling around Somalia and let the pirates deal with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    FUCK THE WHALERS.
    I'm not especially fond of whalers either, but so long as the practice is governed by international treaty and the various signatories refuse to enforce it, then the eco-terrorists are engaged in vigilante action. Privateers without letters of marque are pirates, regardless of who they attack. The principle is simple: You don't get to unilaterally shut down every activity that you dislike by force just because you think that you're in the right. If the act repels you enough, publicize it and lobby for change, but don't pick up a weapon and attack people who are not attacking you or endangering your life. This clown went halfway around the world in order to be as loud and public a nuisance as humanly possible, and he will ultimately cost the anti-whaling position more by eroding any morality in their position, just as the lone nuts who bomb abortion clinics give the NARAL crowd a means to attack the whole pro-life movement.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sonnabend
    Ah...and the human loss of life is not your concern...and if this was done to a US flag ship with US citizens aboard you would be the first to start screaming

Save me the histrionics, will you?

There are laws governing conduct at sea.
    There are laws governing internmaitonal waters.
    Boarding a foreign flag ship without the permission of the captain in international waters with hostile intent is piracy.
    The penalty for piracy on the high seas is to be hanged by the neck from the yardarm.

They are eco terrorists, they use violence, they go armed, they do more damage to the conservation effort than they do good.

More here

Gone underground
    Rodney Coronado is one of the two American citizens who were responsible for the sinking of two whaling vessels in Iceland in 1986 and the serious damage done to the whaling station just outside Reykjavik. Sea Shepherd claimed responsibility for the attacks

Coronado has taken part in a number of Sea Shepherd’s violent activities.
    Today, he has gone underground. A federal grand jury in Michigan has handed down a five-count indictment against him (July 16, 1993) for the use of unregistered explosives, extortion and threats to interfere in interstate commerce and interstate transportation, to commit arson, theft and destruction of government property, and for receiving stolen property. If convicted, he could face 50 years in prison.

The indictments stem from the February 29, 1992 fire-bombing of Michigan State University in East Lancing, which destroyed 32 years of research dedicated to protecting wild mink from pollution, and a decade of vitro research. Responsibility for the act was claimed by the Animal Liberation Front, an animal terrorist group which has claimed responsibility for more than 250 such attacks in the US, causing more than 57 million US dollar’s worth of damage since 1982.

And here

Paul Watson admits that there are arms on board “Sea Shepherd”. “We confront dangerous people. As the captain, it is my responsibility to protect the lives of my crew ... Therefore, I have prepared myself for the possibility of defending my crew in a situation that could go never occur, but if it does I will use firearms to first intimidate and then to defend,” said Watson to the Los Angeles Free Weekly (April 24, 1992).
    Watson: “Fire a couple in the stern right at the water line.Nobody’s there.”
    ..are you defending these people?

I say catch the scum in international waters and end this problem.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Maybe Japan needs to contract fleet security from Somalia. :)