Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    a court case here in pa a few years back where a teachers aid was released from her job for wearing a cross.
    Well, that one case certainly proves that the nationwide institutionalized and systematic persecution of Christianity is real!

What was the outcome of the case, by the way? In most similar cases I have heard about the employee has been reinstated and the courts affirmed their rights to wear crosses or other religious symbols. Muslim women in headscarves don't always have such a positive outcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Many more people today seem to be vocal with dissenting opinions towards religious beliefs... but this doesnt mean religion is under attack... as in persecution.

It just means that increasingly, religious views are subject to the same sort of criticisms that every other idea is subject to (or should be). In other words... the immunity from criticism that religion has enjoyed for so long is (hopefully) over.

Not generally being a slippery slope person I must deviate from that. Vocal dissention is the beginning and it will embolden others to do more than vocalize their opposition. Isn't that the premise the liberals use for regulating hate speech? That it will lead others to do more than just talk.

Religious views being criticized is one thing but what we're seeing here is not constructive criticism. It is threatening speech. Look at the video from SF. One protester tells the Christians he's going to follow them all the way home. If that is not an implied threat then I don't know what is.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 11-19-2008 at 12:11 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    One protester tells the Christians he's going to follow them all the way home. If that is not an implied threat then I don't know what is.
    But that's okay. He's a leftist. They're tolerant.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I guess this comes as no big surprise, but it is not to see it validated.

Read the rest here
    What always annoys me about the whole "Hollywood is pushing different values" is that it would not be a big deal if parents were doing their jobs and raising their kids instead of letting Hollywood do it. Al Bundy and Homer Simpson weren't that big a deal until they were the only examples of fatherhood kids were seeing in their homes on a regular basis. Shows dealing with sexual issues of high schoolers weren't such a big deal until it was the only place kids were being told what is right and wrong about sexuality. If parents were stepping up and doing their jobs, Hollywood values becomes a non-issue and they could get back to their job of entertaining us.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Banned
    Here's what gets me about Hollywood. You have actors like George Clooney who are oh so "progressive" with their wailing and screeching about the treatment of the rest of the world and how unfair and all of this other shit. Yet what are the roles that people like him best in? His biggest successes at the box office have been when he plays macho, undyingly American characters who have pretty conservative values. Lt. Col. Devoe, the slightly corrupt, but two fisted, flag waving, "follow me" Special Ops officer in The Peacemaker. Captain Archie Gates in Three Kings leading a band National Guardsmen on a hunt for stolen Kuwaiti gold during the Persian Gulf War.

Jaime Foxx is one of the biggest liberals in Hollywood, yet what has he been a hit playing as an actor? His last role in a hit was as FBI Special Agent Ron Fleury leading an elite team of FBI operatives kicking Islamist ass in Saudi Arabia in The Kingdom. Ironically another anti-American meme spouting actor was in this one also. Chris Cooper, playing a devout Christian of all things.

The characters that have become part of Americana like Rocky, Dirty Harry Callaghan, Batman, Rambo, Superman are all the epitome of conservative and American values while often the actors playing them are not.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Kind of. Try being a kid in school and wearing a t-shirt promoting heterosexual monogamy, pro-life views, or sports involving firearms.
    When I was in school we had to dress better than that, and t-shirts with any sayings on them at all were out of the question. Maybe we should return to more a more civilized appearance in schools, to solve that problem.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Christians are denied free speech every day in this formally great country.
    Does it matter if it's formal instead of informal?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Its rights are much more important than yours and the right to what ever lieux d'aisances they may require.
    Whatever what? What are you trying to say? I can't even guess at this one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    When I was in school we had to dress better than that, and t-shirts with any sayings on them at all were out of the question. Maybe we should return to more a more civilized appearance in schools, to solve that problem.
    My t-shirts usually said Triumph, Norton or Harley Davidson on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Here's what gets me about Hollywood. You have actors like George Clooney who are oh so "progressive" with their wailing and screeching about the treatment of the rest of the world and how unfair and all of this other shit. Yet what are the roles that people like him best in? His biggest successes at the box office have been when he plays macho, undyingly American characters who have pretty conservative values. Lt. Col. Devoe, the slightly corrupt, but two fisted, flag waving, "follow me" Special Ops officer in The Peacemaker. Captain Archie Gates in Three Kings leading a band National Guardsmen on a hunt for stolen Kuwaiti gold during the Persian Gulf War.

Jaime Foxx is one of the biggest liberals in Hollywood, yet what has he been a hit playing as an actor? His last role in a hit was as FBI Special Agent Ron Fleury leading an elite team of FBI operatives kicking Islamist ass in Saudi Arabia in The Kingdom. Ironically another anti-American meme spouting actor was in this one also. Chris Cooper, playing a devout Christian of all things.

The characters that have become part of Americana like Rocky, Dirty Harry Callaghan, Batman, Rambo, Superman are all the epitome of conservative and American values while often the actors playing them are not.
    Dude, it's called acting. Jimmy Stewart's gone, and he's never coming back.

At least you can appreciate The Mighty Jon Voight in Transformers playing a REAL SecDef... :p

~QC