1. #1 ESPN Spanked For Hitler Comment. 
    ESPN.com apologizes for Celtics-Hitler reference

By Jessica Heslam
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - Updated 10h ago
    Boston Herald Media Reporter

An ESPN.com columnist is apologizing - through a statement released by the Web site - for likening cheering for the Boston Celtics [team stats] to Adolf Hitler and nuclear war.

In her original column railing against the Celtics, Jemele Hill wrote, “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Hill’s piece was posted on ESPN.com late Saturday, and a spokesman for the sports powerhouse said yesterday that the crude comparison was edited out within hours.

The newly edited version of the piece, “Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics,” is still online. Hill did not respond to an e-mail for comment yesterday. ESPN.com released a statement.

“The column, as originally posted, made some absolutely unacceptable comparisons,” the statement said. “We’ve spoken with Jemele, and she understands that she exercised poor judgment.”
    This was humor. Tell me how this potentially damages Holocaust victims? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shooting Nazis and the Right of Return but how does a flip comment by a sportswriter come to be so damaging that she has to be scolded and probably publicly humiliated?

Boston

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This was humor. Tell me how this potentially damages Holocaust victims? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shooting Nazis and the Right of Return but how does a flip comment by a sportswriter come to be so damaging that she has to be scolded and probably publicly humiliated?

Boston
    This is what happens when you let political correctness run rampant. People are shocked and offended about everything.