1. #1 Restaurants Adding ‘Labor Surcharge’ In Order To Cover Jacked-Up Minimum Wage 
    Wow. That whole minimum wage thing sure worked out great, didn’t it?

According to this, restaurants in several states where state laws have mandated higher minimum wages have started adding a “Labor Surcharge” to the cost of a customer’s meal. Meaning while the menu prices themselves might not have gone up, the restaurants still have to find a way to cover the cost of continuing to run their business… so your final bill is still going to be higher than expected –

Restaurant diners are footing the bill for rising minimum wages.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers

http://www.chicksontheright.com/rest...minimum-wages/

I realize the intent is to highlight for customers the consequences of the fiat-increased wage rates, but I'm not sure how well it will work. Whether hidden in menu price increases or "surcharges", customers will see higher bills and most likely respond by going to restaurants less often (aka the Law of Demand - the higher the cost, the lower the Demand).
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    I'm pretty much completely cook at home now anyway when grocery items get too expensive I grow them, do without or substitute. I can't remember the last time we ate out.
    The money only stretches so far.
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Have not seen the surcharge in my state of Washington,yet. But have seen their new tipping the COOK guideline, along with the suggested 15-18% tip for the waitress/waiter. They put it on the bill right above the bill amount.

This so absurd.

I haven't seen anything about tipping the cook, yet. It used to be that at least some restaurants required tips to be shared among the entire staff. The tip suggestion/percentage thingy I have seen on the more modern print-out bills and those Ziosk terminals. Those latter are interesting, since, on one hand they offload some of the bill handling from servers, but on the other hand reduce how many servers are needed for a shift. Both are intended purposes, and the government-fiat-imposed minimum wage is probably the principal factor larger chain restaurants are installing them.

In the fast-food world, ordering kiosks and robot burger-flipper/assemblers are coming into use. I'd bet someone is working on robot or drone order delivery as well (some fast-food workers are almost robotic already).

The Law of Unintended Consequences is all but inviolable.

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

'Nuff said.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    I haven't seen anything about tipping the cook, yet. It used to be that at least some restaurants required tips to be shared among the entire staff. The tip suggestion/percentage thingy I have seen on the more modern print-out bills and those Ziosk terminals. Those latter are interesting, since, on one hand they offload some of the bill handling from servers, but on the other hand reduce how many servers are needed for a shift. Both are intended purposes, and the government-fiat-imposed minimum wage is probably the principal factor larger chain restaurants are installing them.

In the fast-food world, ordering kiosks and robot burger-flipper/assemblers are coming into use. I'd bet someone is working on robot or drone order delivery as well (some fast-food workers are almost robotic already).

The Law of Unintended Consequences is all but inviolable.
    When I worked at IHOP, I had to share my tips with the bus boys. Granted, I also had to bus the tables because they were always out back getting high. The manager pocketed the tips set aside for the bus boys, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When I worked at IHOP, I had to share my tips with the bus boys. Granted, I also had to bus the tables because they were always out back getting high. The manager pocketed the tips set aside for the bus boys, anyways.
    I had a room mate back in the early 70s who worked at Coco's. He started as a dishwasher and worked his way up to cook. They had tip-sharing; the waitresses kept the quarters, and the busboys got their share in nickels and pennies (pennies were still worth something back then).