1. #1 Portland Would Allow Homeless to Live in Residents’ Backyards in New Pilot Program 
    The city of Portland will allow homeless families to move into government-built mini houses in the backyards of residents willing to host them.

A pilot program set to launch this summer, called “A Place for You,” will place the homeless in little pod-like shelters called “Accessory Dwelling Units” in the backyards of willing homeowners, the Daily Mail reported.

The government plans to pay $75,000 per dwelling in construction costs for four tiny units scheduled to be completed by June, with plans to create 300 dwelling units in the next year if the pilot program is successful, the Oregonian reported.

Once construction is completed, homeowners would become landlords in charge of maintaining the units for homeless families for five years. After the five year period, homeowners can do whatever they want with the units. If homeowners decide to break their contract before the five-year period is up, they have to pay the construction costs.
    I wonder if there will be a follow-up piece in six months providing the number of people who took advantage of this offer ?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...pilot-program/

One of the charities here that deals with the homeless is building a neighborhood of tiny houses to house them. There's probably more land available in Detroit for that type of development than there is in Portland.

I doubt if many liberals will volunteer for this program. It's literally that "not in my backyard" thing in action.

Can you imagine the nightmare of having those units in your own backyard, with you being responsible for the upkeep of those units. It would be alright if you had neat and tiny homeless people, but horrible if there were lawless, messy ones. I don't see the real carrot for a homeowner. A possibly large family living in a tiny house in the backyard just might not leave the unit in pristine shape. Then it would be the homeowner's expense to dispose of the thing.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I can't believe those things cost $75k to build.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWinds View Post
    I can't believe those things cost $75k to build.
    They do in Portland, because they are being paid for by the government.

I don't think the ones going in in Detroit are that expensive. It's a private charity, for one thing, that's building them. They don't have to pay that much for the land that is being used. It's also better for homeless families than a traditional shelter, and lowers the risks to children that come from having too many strangers sharing the same living space. People who end up in traditional shelters usually lose all their possessions to theft, having individual houses that lock can help with that, too.

In Detroit, they are also trying to keep the homeless beggars out of downtown, with the new Red Wings stadium almost done and all the associated development that goes with it, and Tiger season about to start. The downtown development is moving north, but not so much east and west like it needs to ultimately do. But the "Woodward Corridor" between downtown and the New Center is looking very good these days. WSU, the museums, all that are now very safe to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I doubt if many liberals will volunteer for this program. It's literally that "not in my backyard" thing in action.

Can you imagine the nightmare of having those units in your own backyard, with you being responsible for the upkeep of those units. It would be alright if you had neat and tiny homeless people, but horrible if there were lawless, messy ones. I don't see the real carrot for a homeowner. A possibly large family living in a tiny house in the backyard just might not leave the unit in pristine shape. Then it would be the homeowner's expense to dispose of the thing.
    Here come the lawsuits... and a sharp uptick in police domestic-disturbance calls. The unintended consequences of this move are going to be monumental.

Wasn't Portland one of the cities who balked when Hawaii wanted to ship all its homeless to the Mainland a couple years ago?